Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a XFI467 cam yesterday and it seems to have about .050" end play to it (forward to back obviously). I double checked the "oil pump drive" in the rear of the block was seated correctly and that the "camshaft retainer" that bolts to the front was torqued...

Is this normal? Should I be concerned about this?

· Registered
373 Posts
Seems like WAY too much. Are you sure you have the timing gear and retainer all assembled properly? You can measure the endplay by slipping the retainer over the nose of the cam, bolting the gear on and slipping a feeler gauge down into the retainer groove behind the retainer (or between the retainer and gear).

FSM says the spec is .004-.012"

· Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the specs Scott, you are always answering all of my questions! I need to get a factory service manual instaed of my Haynes.

I pulled the timing cover and measured like you suggested and it is within spec. I think that I checked this measurement BEFORE installing the timing gear.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.