Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1992 oldsmobile custom cruiser and i am looking to replace the camshaft. I have the 5.7L (350) L05 engine. I was wondering what cam other people have used and have been happy with in the past Thanks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Great timing! I just read on GMforums.com that you can put the F-body LT1 camshaft ('95-'97) in the L05 for another ~40hp. This was told to the original poster by Scoggin-Dickey Chevrolet, and he said to contact them with questions.

Anyone from this forum have insight on the above swap? I'd sure like to know if it has any merit.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you talking about the origional stock camshaft out of the LT1. If anyone could tell me a "cheep" place to get one, or has their origional one for sale i would appreciate getting a quote. Thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Man, you can get an F-body camshaft from the for sale boards on www.camaroz28.com. You really can buy them used for like $15-$30. I wouldn't pay anymore than $30 for one cuz I've seen LOTS of these cams sell for $10 + shipping. But that's where you can find the cam! My buddy put an LT1 cam into his LO3 (305) Camaro RS and WOW it really woke up that motor. From 170 HP to about 210 is a huge difference for that little motor!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He mentioned the F-body cam, to find that I would go to one of the f-body forums and ask for one, probably plenty available. I have a stock LT1 b-body cam you could have cheap but it is really small and may not be worth it, if someone who knows the specs of your cam compared to the stock LT1 b-body says it is worth it mine is available, but like I said I don't think you would gain much.

Edit, I type slow follow the link above.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The stock B-body LT1 cam would perform BETTER in the Olds Cruiser than an F-body cam would. The F-body cam will rev higher because of the wide lobe separation, but sacrifices torque (therefore horsepower) in the mid range where you need it most.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
96capriceMGR, how much would you be willing to sell your b-body cam for, with shipping? will it work with the stock valve springs on the L05?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pat, care to comment on whether it would be better than his stock cam, I don't want to waste his money. David I would make the same offer as Jared, he is closer to you so it would cost him less to ship. Maybe see if his is lower milage too, mine has 110k, actually it came out of my old L99 but is the same as the LT1. I have never heard of anyone killing a roller cam with milage, but if I were you I would want the one with fewer miles. For valve springs, my GUESS Is you would be ok if someone can confirm that you might consider a new stock set since yours are likely tired. If you do end up wanting the cam from me please drop me an email so I don't miss the thread.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sorry Dwayne but jared is closer. Jared, is the cam in good shape? if it is let me know your paypal name and i will send you the money. I would like you to post a conformation e-mail of the payment on the forum, not that i don't trust you but i've been screwed over before. Thanks
David

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not a problem, I figured his would be lower milage and like I said he is several hundered miles closer. Good luck and let us know how it works out. With a mild cam like that it may not be a big issue but you might want to contact pcmforless.com about a new chip, I am pretty sure he can do it but not sure if you would need it. If it isn't necessary he will tell you we ALL like doing business with him.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 96capriceMGR:
Pat, care to comment on whether it would be better than his stock cam, I don't want to waste his money. David I would make the same offer as Jared, he is closer to you so it would cost him less to ship. Maybe see if his is lower milage too, mine has 110k, actually it came out of my old L99 but is the same as the LT1. I have never heard of anyone killing a roller cam with milage, but if I were you I would want the one with fewer miles. For valve springs, my GUESS Is you would be ok if someone can confirm that you might consider a new stock set since yours are likely tired. If you do end up wanting the cam from me please drop me an email so I don't miss the thread.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
David, Do you know the specs on the stock cam in the L05? I'm not familiar with the cam specs in that motor.
On programming: Bryan Herter has a partner that does custom PROMS for the pre-EEPROM engines. I don't know how much there is to be gains on a TBI engine. You can always play with base timing to perk up the lower rev range.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
David, i have no problem posting the email up here once i get it.

Also, if you want to check me out a little more, feel free to vist www.gcfba.com, or cz28.com. Both of those board i go by "atljar" and many people know me. Pat (bowTie), from this board also has met me a couple down at the strip.

The cam looks good to me. Looking closely at the lobes, you can see some slight discoloration of the metal (almost looks like tarnish), and then where the lifters hit it, it is normal shiny metal. No scrathes or grooves on any of the lobes that i can see. On the full circle areas of the cam(i dont know what these are called) there are some intersting criss cross patterns in the metal, but once again
no scratches or grooves.

My email is [email protected]

Jared

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have recieced the payment via paypal, Feb 11, 2003.

"You've Got Cash!

This email confirms that David joseph has sent $20.00 to your Personal Account.

"

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i kinda read this one a little late but for whatever its worth...

both b-body and f-body cams have been known to work well but it is to my knowledge that the wider LSA of the f-body cam is actually better for the throttle body injection cars.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The L03 and the non-9C1 L05 got the same cam. 179/194*@.050 with .350/.384" lift on a 109LS.

The 9C1 L05 got the L98 cam 202/[email protected] w/.413/.428" lift on a 116LS.

Compared to:
96 LT1 Camaro 205/207 @ .050, .447/.459 w/1.5, .477/.490 w/ 1.6, 116.5LS

LT4 203/210 @ .050, .446/.449 w/ 1.5, .476/.479 w/1.6, 115 LS

96 impy LT1 191/196 .418/.430, .446/.459 w/1.6, 111 LS

LT4 HOT CAM 218/228, .492/.492 w/1.5, 112LS.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I should be recieveing the cam this week.I had some questions i was hoping someone could help me with.
1.I was wondering if a cam can be installed with the engine in the car or if you have to pull it.
2.Do i need to remove the heads from my engine to change the cam.
3.What steps do i need to go about to change my cam.
Thanks guys for all your help.
David

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
could someone who has done it without removing the heads please let me know. I would prefer not to remove the heads if at all possible because i would have to remove the engine to remove the heads, and i would prefer not to do it. Thanks David

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.