Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
1. You do not HAVE to remove the heads to swap the cam;

2. Why would you HAVE to pull the engine to remove the heads :confused: ????

KW

G

·
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I have never removed the engine in this car before and i have been told that it is a pain to re mesh the engine with the tranny. I have also been told that a cam can be done without removing the engine, just the radiator and water pump.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
when i tried to even remove the valve covers it took alot of musseling to get them out. In the 1992 L05 the back of the engine is under the windsheald mount, or whatever you would call it

G

·
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
There is no reason to remove the heads to do a cam swap. There is no reason to pull the engine either.

Remove rockers, intake, lifters, radiator, water pump, balancer & hub, opti, timing cover, and lower the oil pan. You can get a cam swap gasket kit from Felpro which will include everything you will need for seals and gaskets.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
thanks everyone for all your help. I have another question. What is the easiest/best way to degree a cam? Can it just be lined up with the stud, rod on the end, from the removed cam shaft. Also what sort of lube should i use on the cam. Thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I wouldn't bother to degree it in this case, just line up the timing marks. For lube I would go to the parts store and get some assembly lube, I think cam breakin lube is only needed with flat tappets.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.