Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I normally wouldn't do a redundant post, (http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?p=2416330#post2416330, but am hoping the title of this thread may catch someone's eye today.

I'm hoping someone can take, just 3-4 minutes of their time, and check connector C400 that is located in the LH trunk compartment about a foot in front of the LH tail lamp.

What I was able to find out thru diagnostics was the following:

A - LH TURN
B - MARKER (LH & RH)
C - RH TURN
D - EMPTY/NOT USED

E - REVERSE LIGHT
F - GND
G - STOP/TURN (L&R)
H - FUEL PUMP

The ODD part about this is with the connector separated from the front wiring harness (male pin side), there was continuity between ports: B, E, F, G, AND H.

Can ANYONE help confirm or deny their car has similar continuity between the posts: B-E-F-G- AND H?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Attached is a pic of the conductors that are showing/having continuity (Trunk wiring side connector):

·
Premium Member
5,749 Posts
May I ask, what are you doing, or what is your problem?
With out checking I would say YES you will show continuity on those terminals .

Every one goes to ground so when testing current will flow,
down one wire ,
through the filament.
to the ground splice,
back to the other filament, (or the pump)
up the wire to the plug.

Every combination you have is interconnected.
Gerry

·
Premium Member
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
May I ask, what are you doing, or what is your problem?
Yes, the problem is that I am getting all 4 brake lamps lit when the marker/headlight switch is turned on.

With out checking I would say YES you will show continuity on those terminals .

Every one goes to ground so when testing current will flow,
down one wire ,
through the filament.
to the ground splice,
back to the other filament, (or the pump)
up the wire to the plug.

Every combination you have is interconnected.
Gerry
Yeah, I thought about that after I left the house this AM, but you'll have to forgive me as it was 4:45 AM when I got up, and went to diagnosing the problem.

Long story short...(not really)...each of the two connectors in the brake light switch are disconnected and I get (4) brake lamps lit when the marker/headlight switch is turned on.

I disconnected the turn signal stalk connector (Behind the steering wheel) with the same results.

I disconnected the 11-pin black harness attached to the lower portion of the steering column around the brake lamp switch with the same results.

I removed all (4) 194 marker bulbs, and have the same result.

I removed all but one of the 1157 brake lamp bulbs, and have the same result, swapping out all four one at a time.

I ground each 1157 body's ground connector to a good known ground and no change, all four lamps were lit.

I'm running out of diagnostics on finding the problem, as to why when (1) power source is activated (parking lamps), all (4) brake lamps are activated.

I'm dreading the thought of having to remove all the factory electrical tape around the wiring harnesses and used the DVOM for continuity to see if a conductor is somewhow broken.

ANY thoughts are other diagnostics are appreciated!

Here's my 1st post:

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=251067

·
Premium Member
5,749 Posts
With harnesses connected but ALL dual filament bulbs removed from the rear does the high mount still go on with park lamps?

Although not a B body , I have seen that style of GM lamp holder cause issue.

I think I read you right but go back with a test lamp (led best) clipped to ground and touch each dual filament bulb right on each bulb outer shell when that lamp is lit. Obviously you should see nothing

Run a jumper power to the 3 different terminals one at a time.
Tail
Left Turn
Right Turn

I say this so hopefully you can isolate if it is left turn or right turn connecting to tails.

You say all the brake lamps are on with tails . I would suspect it is likely only one side and the turn switch at rest is tying the others in.

·
Premium Member
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
With harnesses connected but ALL dual filament bulbs removed from the rear does the high mount still go on with park lamps?
No, the 5th brake lamp has never lit with this problem, ONLY when the pedal is depressed :)( You know feeling bad...... Hey I need a little humor at this point!)

Although not a B body , I have seen that style of GM lamp holder cause issue.
I think I read you right but go back with a test lamp (led best) clipped to ground and touch each dual filament bulb right on each bulb outer shell when that lamp is lit. Obviously you should see nothing
Did that last night, and nothing was found.

Run a jumper power to the 3 different terminals one at a time.
Tail
Left Turn
Right Turn
Good idea! Will do with what little day light I have left tonight.

I say this so hopefully you can isolate if it is left turn or right turn connecting to tails.

You say all the brake lamps are on with tails . I would suspect it is likely only one side and the turn switch at rest is tying the others in.
Yes, I've been using all of my Spidey-Skills on this one, and have been falling short. I think your suggestion of applying 12+ to each tail, and turn one at a time will be a good point to start at tonight.

Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts