Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and just use the external one?
I replaced the leaking rubber hoses in the trans cooler lines and now its leaking from the metal line above the trans.
Probably have to pull the body off the frame to tighten or replace those.
I have a theory that the trans cooler in the rad is plugged and making it leak wherever it can.
so can I bypass the cooler in the rad and just use the external one?

·
Premium Member
2,329 Posts
Sounds like the fitting up on trans needs to be tightened. Yes It's tight up in there and it usually takes a 5/8" modified short wrench . I drop the Drive shaft and lwr trans to make room for my bigger hands to get up in there to turn the wrench. I run a stand alone cooler in my RMW and B4U.

·
Banned
3,437 Posts
not sure but if you take out the tranny mount or the cross member it may give you some work area. lines rusted ?

hoses do leak at the crimps but never see a line leak metal unless rusted or whacked.

fluid needs a warm temp not extreme hot or cold .

don't seem correct on your leak .. but if it was removed a few times very possible line damaged or fitting loose.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Had a similar issue once, just needed a little bit more torque than from what I considered pretty damn tight already. After a few R&Rs the fitting probably wore.

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
There is info here somewhere and on the web as to why you should keep the in rad cooler. If I happen to find the link I'll post it but I would try to keep the cooler on a car that is a driver.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Short answer: yes. . Longer answer: Yes, but if you're in a cold climate, cover the cooler with something to block the wind from getting to it. It'll allow your fluid to get warm, and retain the warmth.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Yes, and you should. A side benefit of lower trans temps is that
you won't get cross contamination of an internal radiator leak getting
antifreeze in your trans.

Nab

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
FWIW I'm in south central Texas and the car is a toy. I work out of a truck so not even commuter duty.
I would think that the external cooler would be more than sufficient.
When I fixed the obviously leaking rubber hoses, the leak sprang anew in a different local. Sure I'm going to tighten the metal lines, but a lot of crud was in the trans fluid when I took off the old hoses.
I think the internal cooler is full of crap that I may never fully get out. Maybe the external cooler too.
Thanks for the replys

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
I would strongly recommend adding a trans.temp.gauge (if you haven't already) for the ability to easily determine if you need to add more cooling capacity. Especially,if using a higher stall converter...

·
Registered
567 Posts
I run the deep pan, +2 quarts, and an extra cooler on my system. You can bypass the heat exchanger however, you won't have control over the transmissions higher temps.

The stock plate and fin cooler is actually a nice unit. It is known to leak and it isn't in the greatest spot, but the cooler itself, is thick and a good design.

I'm not sure I would trust it all by it's lonesome. It doesn't see a lot of airflow and I think is a little small for proper cooling.

If you had a stoppage somewhere in the cooling system, your trans would be dead by now. The lube circuit for the parts and pieces is the return line from the coolers. If that was plugged, your clutch packs would roast pretty quickly.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts