Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well of course I can't just remove them without unbalancing the wheel. However, I know the wheel can be balanced by putting the weights the inside of the wheel. My brother has Impala SS wheels on his 91 454SS and this is how he had it done.

What I'm wondering is if anyone has attempted to remove the external weights on the outside edge of the rim and replace them with the more visually pleasing "inside the rim" type. Can these weights be removed without leaving an ugly mark on the outside edge of the wheel? I'd think there would be some sort of scratchmarks left on the wheel from having them there...

Dave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Use a thin-blade flathead screwdriver with a cloth underneath to get them off. Any marks left over will polish out. For what it's worth, I took mine off when I removed the clear coat from my wheels and never put them back on. Under normal driving conditions (sub 100 mph speeds) there doesn't seem to be any adverse effects, but I wouldn't recommend leaving them unbalanced. I'm probably just lucky....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tenacious.. go to a tire shop to get your wheels balanced,and tell them to use stick on weights that you dont want any on the outside lip of the rim.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A lil forewarning...
after my wheel weights got taken off (when I got my new tires), there was a pretty ugly spot on the wheel where the wheel weight was. I'm not sure how long yours have been on, but mine were on since I assume the beginning of the cars life.

[RANT] Of coarse, when I took my car in to get my tires on, they put the kind that clip over the beat back on, instead of using the ones that stick on (like I specifically told them to do, 2 or 3 times.). [/RANT]

But, hopefully soon as winter is over, I'll do the anti-clear coat mod, and polish them up all shiney and purdy :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.