Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Change my OPTI due to an intermittent Run condition (on the tow truck twice) Turned out that the no run issue was just some corrosion in the power/sensor plug. HOWEVER, It's a good thing it got changed because the bearings are shot. Is there a way to repair this or save the rare good sensor?
Would hate to throw away a good sensor/OPTI if the parts can be salvaged/repaired.:)

·
Banned
3,437 Posts
Change my OPTI due to an intermittent Run condition (on the tow truck twice) Turned out that the no run issue was just some corrosion in the power/sensor plug. HOWEVER, It's a good thing it got changed because the bearings are shot. Is there a way to repair this or save the rare good sensor?
Would hate to throw away a good sensor/OPTI if the parts can be salvaged/repaired.:)
I did some looking into this because I have an OEM ac delco opti with 70,000 mi on it and the opti is clean and did not get damaged other than the cap /rotor wear and a bearing that is worn so the rotor has a slight wobble to it.

I found that the bearing can be had but the process to install means to properly press on the new bearing so that the optical pick up works correctly. also to remove the old bearing may damage the distributor.

if these vehicles where newer/still being made I bet someone would have this procedure on the internet .

I would not throw out the opti ..

I found that the GM OEM distributor opti connector plug made/available now , not back 20 years ago is made different. the wires/connector that connects to the opti is not weather / water proof. If you buy a new or re-built opti with a connector this may also be with these issues. I would use some silicone sealer where these wires go into the connector . allow the sealant to harden . then install. this will keep water from flowing down into the distributor pins/socket and then into the opti sensor which will kill it..

I use dielectric silicone grease [plug wire stuff] on the distributor socket then connect the harness to the opti. this is also to keep out any water,,,.

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
appreciate the answers

I appreciate the replies so far.

Both say to keep it. I will, even though i'm clear on why.

If the bearings are gone and replacing them seems not to be feasable then what am I holding it for? any further clarification?:confused:

·
Registered
7,785 Posts
I appreciate the replies so far.

Both say to keep it. I will, even though i'm clear on why.

If the bearings are gone and replacing them seems not to be feasable then what am I holding it for? any further clarification?:confused:
I'm a pack rat anyway and hate to throw anything out. but I would be keeping it for the Mitsubishi Sensor that the stockers have. This is known to be the problem area on inferior Opti's.

Never know when you may need it....there's that "pack rat" mentallity of mine again. :)

·
Premium Member
5,440 Posts
I found that the bearing can be had but the process to install means to properly press on the new bearing so that the optical pick up works correctly. also to remove the old bearing may damage the distributor.

if these vehicles where newer/still being made I bet someone would have this procedure on the internet .
10 years ago there was a website with pictures on how to disassemble an opti, I wish I had saved it.
nobody to my knowledge has found a replacement opti bearing source since the manufacturer stopped making it several years ago.

·
Banned
3,437 Posts
here is a picture of an opti ..

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.