Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I broke the passenger side side mirror, snapped it when backing into a garage. The outside or the glass appears to be not damaged. The only damage is the metal (or plastic) "bone" is broken so the mirror is dangling by the wires.

The paint, the outside, the glass is fine. Can I just replace the inside of the mirror, does it come apart, or do I need to replace the entire unit?

·
Registered
639 Posts
I did the same thing. There is a hinge piece in there that holds the unit. It is a cast piece from what i can tell. Time for a new mirror

·
Premium Member
4,050 Posts
I have a broken passenger side mirror that got snagged on a lift when backing off of it. The glass and internals appear to be OK. I think that just the hinge area of the housing is trashed. If you are coming to SSHS10, I'll bring it along and you can look at it. If you want it - it is yours for the amazing low price of $0.00. Maybe you can make one good mirror out of two bad ones.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I misread, I tried to figure a way to take out the broken and replace a good one in there, but without doing some cutting. I don't think there is a way. I'm sure with more time and creativity, there is a way.

·
Registered
639 Posts
pretty much been my experience. Granted I just went to the junk yard and picked up a stock caprice mirror so I came out under $20.
I assume you can get the paint codes for what was used on your car. Local paint stores are able to replicate your car paint and put it in an aerosol can. May be worth checking

·
Registered
136 Posts
This might help you out. It's a 95 RMS mirror. THis is basically how you disassemble it.

First, you need to remove the mirror. You'll want to do this in a warm place so the plastic isn't as brittle as it would be if it is cold. To do this, turn the mirror all the way down and and then pull down. you need to unseat the mirror from the center clip. See picture:

Once the clip pops out, you can pull it up to remove the motor adjust bars. they just slide out. Now you can remove the connector off the heating element. I didn't cause I didn't want to mess anything up since this is for sale. it *should* just slide off.

With this off, you can see parts of the mirror. There is the outside shell, the inside motor base, the arm plate, and the pivot arm (under the arm plate)

To take it apart, you will need to remove the spring, then remove the arm plate, then remove the motor base, and finally, you should be able to slide the motor base up and out past the pivot arm and then slide everything out. Getting it back together should be fairly straight forward. the most difficult part will probably be getting the spring back on. See picture for help. Will be uploading some more.

And here are some other pictures to help:

This is the other side. There were two screws that held the metal part to the inside housing. there is also a little tab near the point that holds that side on, and can be slid in and out once the screws are loosened. you cannot slide the housing off without removing the studs, which I don't know if it is possible.

Screw locations for the motor base plate. might be one more towards the outer edge

Hope this helps someone out.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
i dont have pics but you can take the mirror completly apart to replace the cast peice. ive taken them completly appart to fix broken shells ill get the non electric ones becuase there cheaper and use those to fix electric ones.

·
Registered
865 Posts
This might help you out. It's a 95 RMS mirror. THis is basically how you disassemble it.

Once the clip pops out, you can pull it up to remove the motor adjust bars. they just slide out. Now you can remove the connector off the heating element. I didn't cause I didn't want to mess anything up since this is for sale. it *should* just slide off.

With this off, you can see parts of the mirror. There is the outside shell, the inside motor base, the arm plate, and the pivot arm (under the arm plate)

To take it apart, you will need to remove the spring, then remove the arm plate, then remove the motor base, and finally, you should be able to slide the motor base up and out past the pivot arm and then slide everything out. Getting it back together should be fairly straight forward. the most difficult part will probably be getting the spring back on. See picture for help. Will be uploading some more.

Screw locations for the motor base plate. might be one more towards the outer edge

Hope this helps someone out.
What type of Computer program are use using to add the quotes and arrows.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts