Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I swap a 94-96 Impala/Caprice steering column in my 96 FWB? The gear shift in my 96 FWB broke somewhere inside the column.

·
Registered
10,930 Posts
When you say it broke off inside, it may be just the return spring. They are known to fail, and can be replaced. If that is the issue, it is a lot easier to get a spring and swap it. The symptom is that the shifter will flop around.

If you actually need the column, the FW column is about an inch longer outside of the cabin, and about a half inch longer inside the cabin. You can bolt the B body column in, but there may be some issues with attaching the intermediate shaft, and the wheel will be a little farther from you. The shift lever can be used with either column. The FW column probably has the shaft position sensor on the end to control the variable assist power steering. The only other column that has the sensor is the RMS in the last couple of years. I do not know if the sensor can be transferred to a basic B body column. If you have flash to pass, the headlight switch can be moved to the B body column. All of the connectors will fit, but if you have a 94-96, you need a 94-96 for the VATS feature, and you will have to swap your key to the donor column.

It would be simpler to use an FW column of the appropriate year.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts