Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 96 caprice wagon came with a 105 amp alternator and it's starting to make noise. I'd like to put in a 140 amp. It looks like it should bolt right up. Anyone done this, any problems? It's got the LT1 but the alternator is smaller than the Impala's. Thanks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
All Lt1 cars should have the 140, but stranger things have happened. The two alternators are interchangable, so you will have no problems.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I changed it on my W car, and after install main power wire was getting really warm, so I put in a bigger gauge also.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well the 140 amp is installed. I had to "oversize" the big wire terminal, and the brace from the exhaust manifold didn't line up with the new alternator, but it all works fine. The kicker is, I've still got the anoying chirp at idle. I'm thinking maybe the belt tensioner is causing the noise. It sure looks better with the normal size alternator vs the tiny 105. I'll keep an eye on the wiring to nake sure it's not getting hot. Thanks All.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My '95 wagon came with the 105 and I also swapped the 140 right in. I used an overdrive on it as I was putting in an underdrive pulley on the engine at the same time.

David

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.