Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little background on the car. 128,000 miles, fresh tranny rebuild (stock rebiuld only), and 3.73 gears. I would like to bump the car's HP and i'm figuring that NO2 would be the cheapest and least harmful to the motor as you can run NO2 when you want as to supercharger runs all the time. With a motor that has almost 130,000 miles on it, would it be safe to run nitrous? What would be a reasonable hp shot without destroying anything? I know the price of kits but how much is installation...approx? Can I do it myself or should it be done by pro's? ANY help on this subject matter would help. Thanks alot.

Todd Craven
'95 SS

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I would run a compression test on the engine first. I reccomend just using 75-100 shot with all the safety nets on the nitrous system. You should be good to go.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A Granatteli and juice would be a good combo if you are looking to blow the motor, it feed FALSE info to the pcm, throw juice on top of that and a fatal lean condition is a very real possibility. Other than that the stock rebuilt tranny is the biggest obstacle I see in your way.

The stock short block can take an amazing amount of nitrous if attention to detail and all safety precautions are applied. Pretty much guys don't think twice about 125hp shots with 150/175/200 all being reliably done and at least one car is surviving 280hp 2 stage. The cars running the big shots have heads and cam but many are still stock bottoms.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
With that motor and tranny, once I was sure the engine was OK with a compression check, I'd probably run a small dry shot spraying onto the MAF - say, a 50 shot to start with, monitoring with Autotap or something similar to make sure things stay cool. Wouldn't run anything over 100, at most, without a transmission upgrade - PCM reflash or better yet a shift kit.

Installation isn't too hard, biggest pain (mentally) is drilling holes in the trunk for the mounting brackets.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.