Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello my fellow Super Sporters :)

I am a newbie, I wanted some help on buying my caprice.....so i could turn it into an impala ss clone.....eg. like what year resembles the impala ss the most?

Thaksn in advance 212CAPRICESS

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
for the rear fenders (non-skirted.) 94, 95 96 like listed above,
The only diffrence on the 94 exterior wise is the mirrors and back corner windows..but 94 impalas had these same ones.

But if you want to get into detail on Impala interiors it will vary:

the 94/95 has the digital cluster and column shift (just like a 94-96 caprice)

ONLY the 96 Impala had a floor shifter, and an Analog cluster (kinda like the z28 cluster)

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank guys............. anyone...anymore advices???

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
id suggest a 95-96 ive sat in a few and the mirrors are much better than 94's

plus you wouldnt have to get new rear quarter window glass to make it look closer to an SS.......unless you like to do mods like that

whatever year you choose, you will learn to love and hate these cars........but mostly love them

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd go with the 95 or 96, because of the mirrors and the rear quarter glass look better. I'd also try to get one with a regular gauge cluster. I've heard they are easier, than a digital, to switch to the Z28 dash, or a 96 impala gauges. The digital dash is nice but no tach. I'd also look at the seats. Try to find one with good leather, IMO nicer than cloth seats. Bucket seats in the front would make it easier to install the 96 imp console and shifter. Wouldn't have to replace the seats like you would have to with the 60/40 front seats. Make sure you get the LT1 engine, and not the 305.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Make sure you check the VIN. "P" as the seventh digit indicates an LT1 350, which is what you want. I truely hope you don't clone it. I always say to each his own, but whats wrong with a Caprice? I love Impalas, and I love Caprices. They both are great cars, but if you want an Impala, buy an Impala. You are going to spend a fortune buying a decent Caprice, buying the proper interior parts for the Impy, buying the proper exterior parts, painting it, buying the wheels, etc. After all the $$ and trouble, you could have bought a nice 95 SS with 100,000 miles on it for the same $$, IMHO.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually it will be the 8th digit to look for "P" not the 7th.

212, this is a response to you Private Message:

I think that cloning is the way to go. Now, if you can do the paintwork yourself, you will be sitting pretty after the job, unlike LT1Kicker stated. However, if this paintwork must be paid out of pocket, than you could verywell have invested around $10,000 for an entire project. My recommendations are as follows, for making a decent clone, and being cost effective.

A clone job doesnt have to be paid for in one big lump, as would the purchase of your 100000 mile SS.

You can search hi and low, and locate, albeit a rarer find than a white with blue int. 9c1, a black 9c1 with a grey interior. When you go to clone the interior, you are looking for just the seats, which can be picked up for as little as $300 (the lowest I have seen for front and rears). Nothing else really needs to be touched, unless you want perfection, than you need some odds and ends, the big one being the console. In cloning, I never plan to do the interior like and SS anyway, which is why this entire aspect of the job I never relate to. I envision something custom to sit in, not something factory.

The body, minus the paintwork, is cheap. It involves buying only 6 parts. Grille, sidescripts, leaping deers by glass, and the trunk lock surround. Everything else is either removed, or painted. The spears on the doors, I dont include as it seems alot of true SS owners dump them anyway.

Wheels and tires. To roll with SS stock, you can spend $1000 and be set with Brand New factory wheels, rolling on some 275-40 Kumho ECSTA 712's. THere are sets of repro SS wheels on EBAY all the time at $530 buy it now, and the tires run $130 shipped.

The paintjob will kill you like I said. It will involve painting everything monchromatic. It will also involve painting some items black. It will involve removing the interior to paint under everything blah blah.

My next project will begin in two months, if I have the car. What I am going to look for is this:

95 9c1
Any color Ext, prefer grey or tan interior.
Any mileage.
LT1
Posi

Thats all I need. If all esle fails, or I find one I cant pass up, I WILL settle for a white and blue combo, and I WILL settle for a 94 after doing my window mod to the 91, for me its will be a no brainer to install the 95 style glass on the car. That will be the first MOD if you will.

Whatever you chose, go by your instinct, what you like and need. Good luck, keep the community posted!

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks guys, can i also get website where they sell these parts for a low price?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well hell you would have to ask
I bought alot of my stuff on Ebay.com, thats all I can say. I dont know where else to look, but there is the NAISSO store that is always good to help keep open for the Impala community. Dal is another good place for discount GM parts, but unfortuately I dont have these websites, emails, or phone numbers handy. I am sure others can chime in, sorry bud.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't own a clone (my 9C1 still looks like a 9C1), but if I were going to clone my car into a WX3 SS-look-alike, then I'd:

- buy the set of GM 17x8.5 SS alloy wheels
- get tires suited for the SS wheels
- buy the SS grille
- buy a repro fiberglas spoiler for the trunk

That's the basic minimum. If you had a '94, thenb you'd also probably want the plastic C-pillar inserts w/deer emblem.

The above is still $1000+ because of the wheel/tire cost, so it still isn't cheap. You might be able to find used wheels from an SS owner that went with larger-width non-factory wheels.

Anything beyond the above gets more pricey and IMO not worth it. i.e. forget about installing the leather interior. Opt instead for something else (better) for the front seats (Bonneville, Vette etc); use the Z28 instrument cluster, and adapt one of the floor shifters + floor console from the GM parts bin (via junkyard). Add the DK6, DK7 or DK8 overhead console. Then if you really want to finish the WX3 look, you can change the springs on the car to lower the rideheight.

The conversion can be done to any level of cost + complexity. Many people would suggest you buy an Impala SS is you really want one, because the cost to fully convert a regular Caprice or Caprice 9C1 really isn't worth it. It really only makes sense to do a partial conversion (emblems, front grill, repro trunk spoiler) and then add the custom parts you want because many SS owners add the custom stuff anyway. HTH. - Ken '94 9C1

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry, I was thinking 7 because 7 is the L05 350 indicator on the 8th digit on a TBI Caprice.

I just don't see whats so great about a clone. They drive down the value of a real SS. Also, after all the money you pour into a clone, and you decide you'd rather have a real SS, you would never see a lot of that money, because people aren't going to pay you for an SS, they are going to pay for a 9C1. But, I always say, "to each his own."

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
LT1Kicker,

To you I ask, how does a clone drop the value of an SS? I really want to know the answer to this statement. I really could care less if the SS value went down anyway! Honestly, there are 60000 plus units produced, which isnt exactly limited production. However, I highly doubt if I flood the market with orange and silver (clones? Is my car a clone?) that I will see the prices drop on SS's on dealer lots. Now maybe I would if these clones stole the market share for the B-body, and thus I would be stealing the SS sellers business, making him need to lower his price to sell his car. Clones have never done that to any other HOT car out there. Why would it happen to this one?

I am not being sarcastic, I want to know the answer. How does the SS lose value? Either way, I got my "clone" parts sitting in the next room ready for my new 9c1! I enjoy buiding cars. I dont enjoy buying them....

I do agree building a full on clone doesnt seem worth it, but like Ken said above, a partial using the stuff like the grille maybe the wheels or spoiler, and some paint is really all I try to accomplish, and all I recommend.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well let's think about it. Sure, 60,000 units produced is a lot of cars, but it was six years ago when the last one was made. So figure in how many have crashed, burned, been stolen and stripped, then figure in how many super NICE SS's there are in this world. I'm talking low-mileage, mint cars, that aren't abused, or modded. Now, take all the EXACT clones there are, and now look, the more "product" there is, the more the price will go down.

Now YOU sinisster like to build and mod, I don't have a problem with that, and your cars aren't EXACT replicas of a WX3. What bothers me (not that it matters) is that people buy 9C1's (and I LOVE 9C1's, more than SS's) and start turning them into WX3's. I am a traditionalist, and I like things done to a "T". Now, I couldn't sleep at night if I had a 9C1 in my drive, converted to a WX3 and everyone I know thinks I really went out and bought a WX3, it's called being a wannabe. Now, before you flame me to the point of me being a crispy critter, remember, I believe there are those (like sinisster) who love to tinker, and whose mechanical abilities far exceed my own, and they enjoy building nice, custom, SS's with a lot of sweat and time. What I absolutely HATE is when I go to a car show (happened to me 4 times) and see some poor kid standing next to a 94 9C1 with black paint, Impala wheels with mismatched tires, Impala springs, and that rotten Medium Adriatic Blue interior, and he truely believes the guy he bought it off of when he was told it was a Real SS. Am I alone on this, or does anyone else feel for the poor soul who didn't know better???? :confused:

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh, and when the hell did I say you build clones? I wasn't talking to you, go build your cars! I'll enjoy my 9C1 the way it is.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
And that raises the question of: What exactly is a clone?

I have several Impala parts on my car (the grille and spoiler) but since it is kilted there will never be any confusion.

I don't see a problem with the vis-mods until the person doing it tries to pass it off as a genuine Impala SS. And then it is more of a caveat emptor situation. And passing a Caprice as an Impala SS in a sale is in my mind fraud.

Going ballistic because somebody is making their Caprice look like an Impala SS is a little silly. It is their car, and they are free to mod to their hearts content.

But something to consider: If you find the factory Caprice grille ugly, what are your choices? Impala parts. There is a lot of support for the Impala, and the only support for the Caprice is, well Impala support.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by McThag:
If you find the factory Caprice grille ugly, what are your choices? Impala parts. There is a lot of support for the Impala, and the only support for the Caprice is, well Impala support.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Amen, brother!

The simple fact is, IMHO, that cosmetically the Impala just looks better than the Caprice (especially the grill). I'm building a better-looking car, not a clone. I even call it "FakeSS" to avoid any confusion. I also always let anyone admiring my car know that it is a Caprice, not an Impala SS.

I do want a real Impala SS but I will be keeping the FakeSS as well. I've put a lot of work into it and, dagnabit, I'm proud of it. :D

212caprice SS - to get back to what you were asking about...

eBay is a good place to find parts like ssinisterss said. Just do some research first to make sure you don't pay more than you would from someone like Dal.

That brings up another source for parts: Dal Slabaugh(877-448-5451). He is a great source for GM factory parts at a significant (usually very significant) discount compared to normal dealer pricing. I believe the Impala SS and Caprice SS (I prefer the second when "cloning" - for lack of a better word) side scripts are still available. GM is discontinuing Impala SS / Caprice parts right and left.

HTH

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LT1KICKER:
Oh, and when the hell did I say you build clones? I wasn't talking to you, go build your cars! I'll enjoy my 9C1 the way it is.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didnt say that you said my car WAS a clone, I merely asked, would it be considered a clone? Thats all. No hard feelings. I am not, did not, and will not flame you about this or any other issues. I have kids that can read, and so far they think I am a nice guy

I personally have never seen a poor guy who was told he was buying the real deal and got ripped. Thats truly sad, and seems to be even sadder in your neck of the woods.(4X!!!)

However, I think that if you took all the CROOKS in the world that purposefully manipulate the people with less knowledge than I or FakeSS or yourself "Kicker", you wouldnt have enough pieces on the market to in a sense RAISE Imp production numbers, thus lowering the value. And then take those dealers and subtract those, there have to be some, that AREN'T fooled, the number is even lower. Pristine Impalas still bring TOP dollar, in many cases, over sticker price. That is impressive.

One thing we ALWAYS sidetrack to when talking clones or custom caprices or Fake SS;s
is this misrepresentation that is out there and those trying to get more out of what really isnt. There is no argument there. That doesnt need to be brought up I wouldnt think here, anyone who is out to get someone wouldn't be tolerated on these boards.

Moreover, like Jay said 212, know what you are saving when shopping on Ebay. Know what the gain is over a part from Dal. Dal wanted $200 shipped for my quarter glass, however I won a bid on the glass for $28 on Ebay, thats the ticket there!

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just my 2 cents.
Since we started this business about two years ago we have built many cars.Some
back to OEM stock look and some custom.
Most customers do want a clone built but agree and insist on the Caprice SS emblems. I have not yet met one person who wanted a clone built to fool people.So as we call it around here, You want the Impala LOOK but keeping it a Caprice and making it into what it should have been a " Caprice SS "

Mark www.CAPRICECARS.com ;)

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok, well I'll buy into this. What I hate to see is this newbie do something he regrets. Personally, I don't care what the value of WX3's do due to the clones, because I am just a 9C1 lover. Granted, I'd love to have an SS too, I'm just into good old b-body police cars. If he really just enjoys making his car into something he loves, go for it. Mark has a point, a lot of the clone owners go with the Caprice SS look, which in my opinion should have been a GM option way back when. I understand now, but I still don't like exact clones.

I agree with exterior parts first. My 92 9C1 had a black SS grille, because there really isn't another option. I think I will go with a billet grille next time, lots of $$ tho.

As you can see, Sinsster, I consider a clone to be an exact clone. Thats what I automatically think when I hear "clone". ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts