Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While trying to track down what I thought was a misfire at high temps , I happened to have my hood open one day when my primary fan kicked on. As it turns out, the primary fan blade is horribly, ridiculously out of balance. The primary fan was replaced at some point with an aftermarket one. The blade doesn't wobble forward and backward so it's not loose on the motor shaft, but it wobbles up and down almost 1/4". It's enough that I can feel it shake the car enough that it feels like a misfire. Since the secondary fan almost never comes on and runs smooth when it does, I'd like to swap the primary and secondary fans. At this point in my '95's life, I don't have much confidence that I'll be able to get the motors out without breaking the screws. I'm wondering if I can just unbolt the fan assembly and flip it around, or if it only goes on one way so I have to try to swap the motors and blades in the frame. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
Why not simply switch the power leads in the connector,and let the fans stay where they are. Or,switch the fan blades with each other. Believe they're the same...

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
I get this nagging feeling I've read that the two fans are rated different wattages power - the primary slightly higher. Maybe a guy posted replacing his secondary with a primary model for that extra oomph?

I noticed the secondary in my Cady ain't free-wheeling quite right, so I'll have to start researching a bit on replacements.

·
Registered
11,219 Posts
The fans are different wattages. You can not swap them. You can get a replacement at the local junk yard from any 94-96 B or D body with dual fans. It is a cheap and easy fix that is going to work like it is supposed to. If there aren't any junk yards near you, maybe someone can get one for you.

·
Registered
8,211 Posts

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
The fans are different wattages. You can not swap them. You can get a replacement at the local junk yard from any 94-96 B or D body with dual fans. It is a cheap and easy fix that is going to work like it is supposed to. If there aren't any junk yards near you, maybe someone can get one for you.

That is not true for all cars. At some point they stopped using motors with different wattages at least on certain cars. My car, a May '95 9c1, has 2 identical 100W motors.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies. My primary fan looks like a replacement motor so who knows what wattage could be. It seems to work well enough, except for the vibration. I'll pull the fans off and see what there is to see.

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
That is not true for all cars. At some point they stopped using motors with different wattages at least on certain cars. My car, a May '95 9c1, has 2 identical 100W motors.
Just offering yours may have been potential victim of a little clandestine swapping at a garage. But, in your defense if you look at the pic illustrations on the AZ site they ALMOST look like they're showing the same sized motors for both sides.

I just picked up what is supposedly (but falsely) listed as the replacement for my Cady's secondary fan. Counter to 5 decades worth of experience I neglected to take the old one in to compare at the counter. But in my defense the listing was pretty dam clear and straightforward and matched the number from the other linked thread ----- so my radar was down:

1995 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham 5.7L SFI OHV 8cylVDO/Radiator Fan Motor,
Part Number: PM540 Fits Your Vehicle
VDO/Radiator Fan Motor
Application: Driver side
Without heavy duty cooling

There's two other options listed: the "passenger side" with a different part #, different price and different picture. And, there's something listed for "with heavy duty cooling", with a different part #, different price and different picture. Never mind there's no such thing as an electric fan for the belt-driven mech. fan with the towing package for our cars, which is what I figured was a simple flub-up.

Well, it turns out I DO have what's labeled "heavy duty cooling" since that's the fan I need:
VDO/Radiator Fan Motor
Part Number: PM9040
Warranty: Limited Lifetime
Application: With heavy duty cooling
Notes: O.E.M. #22137220

It turns out my SS has this so-called "heavy duty cooling" on the driver's side too. cwm3 It obviously has nothing to do with a towing package. The motors on both cars are physically different side-to-side and no way close to the same mounting, in line with what Fred said. I hope this saves the OP and others a little aggravation someday.

Rock Auto will have the right one here Tuesday.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
"Just offering yours may have been potential victim of a little clandestine swapping at a garage. But, in your defense if you look at the pic illustrations on the AZ site they ALMOST look like they're showing the same sized motors for both sides."

No, there hasn't been any clandestine swapping. What I said is correct. On some models, the factory decided the larger motors were not necessary and both motors became 100w. I am the second owner of this car, the first being the federal gov't. and I am well aware of the history of 9c1s. I don't need a defense since I gave correct information. Your being unaware of it doesn't mean it is wrong.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Just looked through GM B-body parts catalog.

It calls out one unique RH motor, different than any LH. Then 4 different LH motors depending on year and options.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Details

Here is some information I found on the net.

Sorry I can not give credit to the original poster.

Their were 3 fan motors used in the 94-96 cars. 100 watt,150 watt and 240 watt. The 100 and 150 used the same mount,the 150 was just a little deeper.100 and 150= completely interchangeable and put on MANY cars. The 240 watt is a different story. It uses a different mount and its only available for the driver side. The 240 watt cools VERY well, however continued use WILL melt the weak stock relays and any sockets their put in! The startup current is just to much. It was mostly used as the secondary to the mechanical on towing versions. It does have a few other applications as well! The fan itself is interchangeable with all 3. The V92 tow pack always includes V08 cooling, which always includes the mech fan [which incurs a 10 peak horse penalty].

Does it also include an extra trans cooler?Technically, no. All 94-96 B-cars have an integral transmission cooler close-coupled to the radiator.

All LT1 B- & D- cars also have an additional external transmission oil cooler.Does RPO V08 also include a heavy duty radiator as well?Couldn't tell you. These days, the only radiator variants I can find are:

civilian radiator with integral motor oil & transmission oil coolers
9C1 radiator with integral transmission oil cooler only, no oil cooler
(On this, I could be misinformed.)Is there a difference between base cooling and extra-capacity cooling?The base cooling option was a 150W primary fan, and a 100W 2ndary fan.
The V03 cooling option upgraded the 2ndary fan to 240W.

The V08 cooling option that came with the V92 tow pack upgraded the primary fan from a 150W elec fan to a 7,457W mechanical fan, and kept the 240W 2ndary.There are two optional cooling system upgrades for LT1 B/D-cars, called V03 (Extra Capacity Cooling), and V08 (Heavy Duty Cooling). Performance models such as the WX3 (Impala SS) and 9C1 (Police) cars automatically get the upgraded V03 (Extra Capacity Cooling) system. V03 includes a larger radiator, an increased capacity A/C condenser, and an upgraded secondary electric fan. V03 is also optional on most B/D-car models.

Note that the '94 V03 (Extra Capacity Cooling) option uses a 150-watt primary (RH) fan, and an upgraded 240-watt secondary (LH) fan. In '95-'96 the V03 package was revised and no longer included an upgraded 240-watt secondary fan. Instead the standard 100-watt secondary fan was used, which is the same as the base cooling system.
PM538 for the driver side and PM540 passenger side on SS cooling package. The driver's side fan on my car has part number 22137068 and the PM9040 is the direct replacement.( '95 Caprice wagon)
The primary fan is the one on the passenger side. It comes on when the A/C is on or if the A/C is off and the temp gets to 228 degrees. The other one is the secondary fan and it comes on when the temp gets to 232 degrees.
ACDELCO Part # 158498 {#22137318} MOTOR KIT,ENG CLG FAN RIGHT HAND; w/o HVY DUTY CLG(V08)

ACDELCO Part # 158490 {#22136414} MOTOR KIT,ENG CLG FAN LEFT HAND; w/o EXTRA CAPACITY CLG(V03) or HVY DUTY CLG(V08)

ACDELCO Part # 158429 {#88890735} MOTOR KIT,ENG CLG FAN LEFT HAND; w/ENG OIL CLG(KC4) or EXTRA CAPACITY CLG(V03) or HVY DUTY CLG(V08); IDENT ASM# 22137220

The CORRECT GM # is 88890735 List $140.00 Shop $ 100.80
Same part ACDelco 15-8429 GM PART # 22137318
PACK QTY: 1
List Price: $132.28
Price: $68.12
DESCRIPTION: MOTOR KIT (RH - passenger side) - this is PRIMARY fan (150w motor)

GM PART # 88890735
PACK QTY: 1
List Price: $144.00
Price: $74.16
DESCRIPTION: MOTOR KIT (LH - driver side) - this is SECONDARY fan (100w motor)

ACDelco Tech Connect info
15-8429 MOTOR KIT,ENG CLG FAN Left Hand
With RPO ENG OIL CLG(KC4) ^ EXTRA CAPACITY CLG(V03) ^ HVY DUTY CLG(V08) IDENT ASM# 22137220

15-8429 MOTOR KIT,ENG CLG FAN Left Hand
With RPO EXTRA CAPACITY CLG(V03) ^ SEO AUX ENG OIL CLR(7P8) ^ SEO TAXI CAB(9C6) IDENT ASM# 22137220

15-8490 MOTOR KIT,ENG CLG FAN Left Hand
With RPO EXTRA CAPACITY CLG(V03) ^ SEO AUX ENG OIL CLR(7P8) Without RPO SEO TAXI CAB(9C6)
15-8490 MOTOR KIT,ENG CLG FAN Left Hand
Without RPO EXTRA CAPACITY CLG(V03) ^ HVY DUTY CLG(V08)

15-8498 MOTOR KIT,ENG CLG FAN Right Hand
Without RPO HVY DUTY CLG(V08)
Rock Auto
Motor info (alt PN's - 22134671, 22136414, 22136897, 22137318, 22137319)
More motor info (alt PN's - 22105177, 22134671, 22136414, 22136897, 22137318, 22137319, 88892898, GM3116101)

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Back to our regularly scheduled program for a moment, once I actually started taking things apart it took virtually no investigating to once again affirm that the previous owner of this car is incompetent(See here for further proof). When the fan motor was replaced, the fan just wasn't put on correctly. See the little peggy things on the back of the fan blade and the notches in the motor hub? I bet it'll only take one try for you guys to guess where the pegs WEREN'T sitting... five minutes later, the completely reinstalled fan works smoothly with no real vibration.

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
1. Happy you're only out a spot of aggravation and not any real bucks. Your problem's paid off in spades for the rest of us considering Z09B4U's and other's info!

2. Well, and of course hoping said previous owner's difficulties with simple pegs and slots does not extend to procreating.

·
Premium Member
2,327 Posts
I hate tracking down other peoples sloppy work, glad you found it!

240 watt. WILL melt the weak stock relays and any sockets their put in! The startup current is just to much.
I knew you were going to say tow pack cars. Every wagon I have owned was a tow pack and burnt up the fuse block. Never had any other B or D body have this problem.

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
High wattage fan(s) are best powered by solenoids,instead of relays...

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
The 240 watt cools VERY well, however continued use WILL melt the weak stock relays and any sockets their put in! The startup current is just to much.
This was a quote from the internet. I personally do not agree with it. I do not want to argue with someone's experience. I do not doubt that the relay socket burns out. I was all ready to modify this circuit but could not find any damage to it. Everything seemed stock so I just kept checking the 240 W fan. When it started to make noise and I thought it was stiff I replaced it.

Where I live it will be over 75 F today and it gets over 95 F so please no winter comments.

I think many people (Not ALL) think that if the fan turns it is OK. A electric motor with bad bearings, bushing or overheated winding draws high current at start up.

Many modern cars use solid state relays that eliminate the arching that occurs when a relay turns on. When I toast the factory relay I will go to heavier wire feed straight from the battery and a solid state relay.

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
My new secondary showed up last night, so in it goes today (thanks RockAuto). Always looking for an excuse to call something a maint. item - mostly so I can have an excuse to replace it :D But, there's sparse google on outright upgrades to the stock relay(s). Both the Imp and Cady use identical relays for their respective primary and secondary. Further, the B- and D- use identical manuf. part no. relays (and only off by one GM ref. part No.) probably reflecting the Cady's molded skirt extension and weather gasket connector to accommodate external mount.

Otherwise, no trace indication of overheating or stress along the wiring for either car.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
My wild-ass guess is that GM got tired of externally relocating the fan relays outside the fusebox [per a TSB whose number escapes me which only applied to 9C1s, but helps ALL B- & D- cars], so instead they downgraded the 2ndary fan motor from 240W to 100W on LT1 cars without mech primary fans [including F- and Y-cars].

meh

Go to Innovative Wiring, then scroll down to the TSB harness; what most of us need when using a 240W 2ndary fan motor.

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
Go to Innovative Wiring, then scroll down to the TSB harness; what most of us need when using a 240W 2ndary fan motor.
Seems a downright smart upgrade, especially with Gary's harness to keep the wiring from frying. I could eyeball it, but is there any appreciable modification required to the driver's side fan/mount when replacing the 100w with a 240w?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts