Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have no idea why but I cant burn out in my car, I have a 1996 9C1 LT1 Caprice with 110K miles. what could be my problem?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Could be a # of things.

Is it a performance issue [engine]? Is there a check engine light on? [if so read the codes]. Is there a miss? Could be lots of things but ignition [opti, plugs, plug wires, coil] i.e; a tune up is a good place to start. EGR stuck open/closed? On a '96 a crank sensor issue?

Fuel pump/pressure issues?

Vacuum or air leak?

Or maybe the trans is slipping?

More info needed.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could be a # of things.

Is it a performance issue [engine]? Is there a check engine light on? [if so read the codes]. Is there a miss? Could be lots of things but ignition [opti, plugs, plug wires, coil] i.e; a tune up is a good place to start. EGR stuck open/closed? On a '96 a crank sensor issue?

Or maybe the trans is slipping?

More info needed.
I have a CEL right now but it's for my o2 sensors, I just changed my oil and oil filter and put a pint of seafoam in my gas tank.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
  • Too much weight in the trunk
  • bad air fuel at part throttle
  • in need of a tune up
  • tranny slipping
are you trying to do a raw burn out from a dead stop or power braking it?

is it a peg leg or posi?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
  • Too much weight in the trunk
  • bad air fuel at part throttle
  • in need of a tune up
  • tranny slipping
are you trying to do a raw burn out from a dead stop or power braking it?

is it a peg leg or posi?
power breaking and i have no idea if i have posi or not, it's stock.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I replaced A LOT of parts on my car and it was a bad cap/rotor. I couldn't spin a tire, just bogged down and backfired.

Start with the easy stuff like checking for an air leak in the intake hose or a vacuum leak elsewhere. Then check fuel pressure, look at the ignition system for obvious signs such as a burnt plug wire, arching plug wires [at night with hood up ~ look for any spark arching], loose plug/coil wire, any leaking coolant [water pump] onto the distributor, etc...

With it missing, it will wipe out your O2's and/or catalytic convertors due to unburnt fuel if you don't remedy the problem.

Does it do it at start up and throughout the driving range or is it after warm up?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I replaced A LOT of parts on my car and it was a bad cap/rotor. I couldn't spin a tire, just bogged down and backfired.

Start with the easy stuff like checking for an air leak in the intake hose or a vacuum leak elsewhere. Then check fuel pressure, look at the ignition system for obvious signs such as a burnt plug wire, arching plug wires [at night with hood up ~ look for any spark arching], loose plug/coil wire, any leaking coolant [water pump] onto the distributor, etc...

With it missing, it will wipe out your O2's and/or catalytic convertors due to unburnt fuel if you don't remedy the problem.

Does it do it at start up and throughout the driving range or is it after warm up?
I never looked at my plugs and wires I'm replacing those next and right now I'm dealing with a ****ty reman water pump and I have a small leak coming from the coolant temp sensor area on my water pump and it's getting all over my new cap and rotor. and no theres no miss. My car has a CEL so my car is in lean mode.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I never looked at my plugs and wires I'm replacing those next and right now I'm dealing with a ****ty reman water pump and I have a small leak coming from the coolant temp sensor area on my water pump and it's getting all over my new cap and rotor. and no theres no miss. My car has a CEL so my car is in lean mode.
Okay, I recognize your ID now and remember your other threads. Get that leak stopped. I think your opti got damp inside due to the leak and it may dry out or might need servicing/replacing. If your ECT sensor isn't working or the electrical connector plug is not on it, it will cause runabilty issues as well.

Your CEL being on does not necessarily mean you're in limp mode.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just checked the codes on my tunk lid i have 3.08 gears with limited slip

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I have a CEL right now but it's for my o2 sensors
Well, sounds like you should start there.

As others have said, if you don't know how old typical wear items are (plugs, wires, fuel & air filter, fluids, etc.), you should inspect/replace them as well.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I add O2 sensors to Cletus' list of 'normal wear items'. I used to do them every time I replaced plugs on my RX7s. If you have drivability problems, that's usually a good place to start.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I add O2 sensors to Cletus' list of 'normal wear items'. I used to do them every time I replaced plugs on my RX7s. If you have drivability problems, that's usually a good place to start.

They live in a pretty abusive environment, and stuff you put in the gas and stuff they pick up during normal operation (silicone in gasket sealers containing silicone getting into the induction path, for instance) can ruin them.

If you have a CEL for O2s, replace them first before contemplating any other issues.

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
You are thinking wrong as in if you are popping a code for the O2's the PCM will make the car rich not lean to keep it in "safe" mode.

Okay, I recognize your ID now and remember your other threads. Get that leak stopped. I think your opti got damp inside due to the leak and it may dry out or might need servicing/replacing. If your ECT sensor isn't working or the electrical connector plug is not on it, it will cause runabilty issues as well.

Your CEL being on does not necessarily mean you're in limp mode.
If the opti is wet internally it would miss all over the place and possibly not run, I don't think that is the case. If the ECT sensor is bad it will most likely put things into a "limp" mode per say, but with that being said it would also cause both fans to come on as well keeping the engine cool, definitely fix the leak as it will eventually get in the cap though.

OP- Chase the O2's first, what is the code that it is throwing by the way, there are several that can mean different things and I can get you the diagnostic guides to break down possibilites. When you rev it does it black smoke from the exhaust? When you are at a dead stop and you mash the gas does it take off or does it sag or hesitate? Are the fans running constantly?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You are thinking wrong as in if you are popping a code for the O2's the PCM will make the car rich not lean to keep it in "safe" mode.

If the opti is wet internally it would miss all over the place and possibly not run, I don't think that is the case. If the ECT sensor is bad it will most likely put things into a "limp" mode per say, but with that being said it would also cause both fans to come on as well keeping the engine cool, definitely fix the leak as it will eventually get in the cap though.

OP- Chase the O2's first, what is the code that it is throwing by the way, there are several that can mean different things and I can get you the diagnostic guides to break down possibilites. When you rev it does it black smoke from the exhaust? When you are at a dead stop and you mash the gas does it take off or does it sag or hesitate? Are the fans running constantly?
I dont remember the code but it was saying my passenger side o2's have low voltage, I'll get back to you on the other questions.

·
Registered
400 Posts
After a quick read through of some of the posts its doubtful, but maybe the car has the stealth bolt break mod. Does it have 4 wheel disc breaks?

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
After a quick read through of some of the posts its doubtful, but maybe the car has the stealth bolt break mod. Does it have 4 wheel disc breaks?
I was going to ask the same thing, but I would doubt it as you have listed, but that is a good call.

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
I dont remember the code but it was saying my passenger side o2's have low voltage, I'll get back to you on the other questions.
Is it both of them? throwing a low voltage code? This is alot easier to troubleshoot with a scanner hooked up, but double check the grounds that are located on the drivers side head in the front they are on the stud that mounts the coil and icm. this ground location is for all the sensors on the motor pretty much. also was the trans taken out lately, exhaust work etc done?

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
I would assume that it is P0157 here is the desription that would cause it to set.
CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION

The PCM supplies a voltage of about 450 mV between the Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) high and low signal circuits. The oxygen sensor varies the voltage over a range from about 1000 mV when the exhaust is rich, down through about 10 mV when exhaust is lean. The PCM monitors and stores the heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) voltage information. The PCM evaluates the HO2S voltage samples to determine the amount of time the HO2S voltage was out of range. The PCM will compare the stored HO2S voltage samples taken within each sample period and determine if majority of the samples are out of the operating range.

The PCM monitors the HO2S voltage for being fixed below a predetermined voltage. If the PCM detects the voltage is below a predetermined voltage, a DTC will set.

CONDITIONS FOR SETTING THE DTC

DTCs P0100, P0102, P0103, P0107, P0108, P0112, P0113, P0117, P0118, P0122, P0123, P0125, P0151, P0200, P0372, P1371 not set.
Engine coolant temperature greater than 48°C (ll8°F).
Fuel system operating in Closed Loop.
Fuel trim learn enabled.
Air/fuel ratio between 14.6:1 and 14.8:1.
TP angle between 3% and 20%.
HO2S signal voltage remains below 39 mV for 38 seconds.
ACTION TAKEN WHEN THE DTC SETS

The PCM will illuminate the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) on the second consecutive drive trip that the diagnostic runs and fails.
The PCM will record operating conditions at the time the diagnostic fails. The first time the diagnostic fails, this information will be stored in Failure Records. If the diagnostic reports a failure on the second consecutive drive trip, the operating conditions at the time of failure will be written to Freeze Frame and the Failure record will be updated.
CONDITIONS FOR CLEARING THE MIL/DTC

The PCM will turn the MIL OFF after three consecutive drive trips that the diagnostic runs and does not fail.
A last test failed (Current DTC) will clear when the ignition is cycled and the diagnostic runs and does not tail.
A History DTC will clear after forty consecutive warm-up cycles, it no failures are reported by this or any other emission related diagnostic.
PCM battery voltage is interrupted.
Using a Scan tool.
DIAGNOSTIC AIDS

Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S)) wire. Sensor pigtail may be contacting the exhaust manifold.
An oxygen supply inside the HO2S is necessary for proper operation. This supply of oxygen is provided through the HO2S wires. All HO2S wires and connections should be inspected for breaks or contamination.
Check for intermittent ground in signal wire between connector and sensor.
Lean injector(s). Perform Injector Balance Test.
Fuel contamination. Water near the in-tank fuel pump inlet can be delivered to the injectors. The water causes a lean exhaust and can set a DTC.
Fuel pressure. System will be lean if fuel pressure is low. Refer to Fuel System diagnosis.
Exhaust leaks. An exhaust leak near the HO2S can cause a lean condition. Vacuum or crankcase leaks can also cause a lean condition.
If the above are OK, the HO2S may be at fault. For intermittents, refer to Symptoms. See: Testing and Inspection
TEST DESCRIPTION

Number(s) below refer to step numbers on the diagnostic table.

Engine must be at normal operating temperature before performing this test. For any test that requires probing the PCM or a component harness connector, must use the Connector Test Adapter Kit J 35616-A. Using this kit will prevent damage to the harness connector terminals.
Using Freeze Frame and/or Failure Records data may aid in locating an intermittent condition. If the DTC cannot be duplicated, the information included in the Freeze Frame and/or Failure Records data can be useful in determining how many miles since the DTC set. The Fail Counter and Pass Counter can also be used to determine how many ignition cycles the diagnostic reported a pass and/or a fail. Operate vehicle within the same freeze frame conditions (RPM, load, vehicle speed, temperature etc.) that were noted. This will isolate when the DTC failed.
It may be necessary to lower the exhaust system to gain sufficient access to an HO2S and/or it's connector. Refer to Exhaust System. Grounding the low side circuit of the HO2S should cause the HO2S voltage to display a bias voltage. If the voltage stayed near 0.0 volts indicates the low circuit is open, or the high circuit is open or grounded.
Disconnecting the PCM will allow using the DVM (J 39200) to check continuity of the circuits. This will aid in locating an open or shorted circuit.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts