Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried doing a burnout this weekend, and she won't cut the tires loose anymore. Its been a long time since I've tried to smoke the tires and can't figure out why she won't do it anymore. Mods since the last burnout include the flowmaster exhaust and KNN intake. Also changed the MAF recently. Is there anyone else with similar mods that can no longer do a burnout.

Other than that everything seems to be running normal. Still has good acceleration up to the speed limit of 108. Gas mileage is normal around 19-21 depending on how hard I get on the pedal. There is a slight hesitation from the time I hit the gas until the car takes off.

Any things I should look at to try and fix the "problem" maybe should just leave it alone and save the tires but that just isn't any fun.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Are you trying to brake torque? Or Just a straight off the line WOT?

Keep in mind as the surface temp gets warmer the better the traction. So the off the line sprints may not get the tire burning that your looking for.

I notice for myself that Brake Torques and putting the car into a slide around a corner is effortless. Off the line (warm temps) I get a few revolutions and then the tires usually grips and off I go. Off the line (cold temps) the car stands still for a few seconds as the tires spin uncontrollably.

So try a couple of things:
1) Brake Torque
2) Try throwing some water down and try to lay a patch

An LT1 equipped B-Body should have no problem breaking the wheels loose under these two conditions I have mentioned.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
on the cheap side you could remove everything from the trunk and air up the tires. Airing-up the tires is not a safe thing to do.

On a side note I had a '86 caprice that I could not get to do a burn out (305 140hp). I sold it to a friend who lowered it 2 inches up front and 3 inches in the back, now it will light up the tires like a mad-man. I've even seen it do doughnuts with four people in the car. Might want to looking into that.

JTP

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tried doing a break stance and she still wont' lite em up. Used to be able to just hit the gas and smoke the tires w/o applying any brake. Now I can't even get em to cut loose while holding the brakes down. The engine doesn't seem to be revving up enough to get enough power.

Would having old plugs and wires have anything to do with this. On the list to be changed out as soon as I can get some time to do it. Or is there something more seriouslly wrong with the car.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My car was running like crap...couldnt do a burn out unless i was standing on the brake givin it WOT and then last weekend i changed my opti (thanks dal) and plugs and wires (thanks magnacor) and now..it runs like a new car..chirps the tires at a stomp, burns them off at a brake stand. I personally think just chirps at WOT stomp is a nice thing..tire are too expensive to be burning them off and it means i am not loosing hp in wheel spin..it is hooking up and going. only 2 issues i have is that when doing the brake stand the other night my oil gauge went to zero and my check gauge light came on..no CEL. i turned off the car and restarted and it came right back up..but it scared the crap out of me..and now my low coolant light is on but that is prolly cause i started the car with no water pump to make sure the opti was right...and didnt reset the computer after i did that...

anyways...just my .02 worth
john

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Definitely something wrong. I would check the intake for any restrictions, and also the exhaust. Those appear to be your newest mods and both are needed for more power. Maybe something was done wrong. A decent tune up should help, But as I said a LT1 equipped B-Body should not have any problems lighting them up (especially on a Break Stand)

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree with the group that you should be able to do a burnout, unless there's something that's robbing you of some major horsepower.

Did you do the brake bolt mod? If so, you may be applying the brakes too hard. I have a 96 SS and the first time I did a brake stander I was pressing the brake pedal way too hard. I could still get 'em to spin, but it took much more effort from the car. Try lightening up on the pedal a little and that may help. If not, I'd either start with those tune-up items you identified earlier or wait for a good rain storm

- Leo

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No brake bolt mod. Guess its time to look at a new opti and plugs/wires. Any other items to add to the "tune up" list while I've got my checkbook out.

If I have to wait till it rains to do a burnout I might as well go buy a Maurader.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have the same problem and attribute it to the question you ask below.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by joespiek:
Would having old plugs and wires have anything to do with this. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Replacing plugs and wires should make a big difference. Then again, I get 17 to 15 (sometimes) mpg (on our RFG "gas").

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had the same problem after changing the wires. Come to find out, I damaged a few of them trying to get past the wire seperator behind the opti on the passenger side. Arking out under load.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>There is a slight hesitation from the time I hit the gas until the car takes off.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have the exact same problem in my SS. I recently did a tuneup, including F-body EGR, front o2's, plugs, magnecor wires and fuel filter.

My car is running terrible at WOT off the line, it wont even chirp the tires. I have cleaned the MAF, throttle body and filter and still cant find the problem. It used to burn the tires off the line. Someone please help, this is driving me crazy !!! :( :confused: :mad:

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does anybody have the part # for a new opti handy, and a price estimate? How about reccomandations for new plugs and wires? Are the NGK plugs and wires better or worse than others?

Thanks for all the help.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For an Opti, contact Sam at Combination Motorsports (www.cmotorsports.com), no part # needed, should be just under 200 bucks.

For wires Magnecor is the gold standard, $99 from www.lingenfelter.com

For plugs, NGKs are good, but for a naturally aspirated motor they're not gonna be any better than just the 1996 Delco double platinums.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
can anyone help me??? I am going insane trying to find this problem! :(

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When I test drove my 96 9C1, it wouldn't spin. A week or so later when I met to buy the car, it would. I asked what he did, and he said just LOF and fuel filter.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
dean
what's LOF? I replaced the fuel filter about 2 months ago so that should still be fine.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i tried to line lock it but i found that if i hold the brake and the gas the tires will spin but they don't really start spinning until i let off the brake and they really start to smoke.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here is your problem, almost 99% sure this is the cause of the inability to do a burnout. You mentioned having a K&N intake. Have you cleaned the filament wires in your MAF since installing it? Probably not, I am guessing, as I had not done it either. My car wouldn't even burn out after getting Bryan Herter's tune in it! I went out, bought some electronics cleaner and removed the MAF screens and very carefully used a q-tip soaked with the cleaner to clean my very oily/dirty filament wires. WOW, what a difference. It felt like the car had about 50 more H.P.after that. Could burnout all the way into second gear now :D Try it, see what the results are!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts