Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my '95 Caprice 5.7L and was having trouble getting it to pass smog in California until I found that the air pump had been removed by the police department it came from. Can anyone tell me where the hell this thing goes under the hood? I know where all the hook ups are, I just can't locate the mounting.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I figured. I found a possible location, but there is the secondary air pump line in the way. The mounting bracket probably bypasses this. I just did a connector test and found that there is no air flow. Now I need the fuse....damnit

·
Registered
1,739 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Several people claim to have sneaked past emissions in cali, the secret seems to be buying the air pump exemption sticker which quotes the gm tech service bulletin. Ive seen it at a few stores on e-bay.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Several people claim to have sneaked past emissions in cali, the secret seems to be buying the air pump exemption sticker which quotes the gm tech service bulletin. Ive seen it at a few stores on e-bay.

The sticker alone won't do it. You need a cool or "gullible" emissions technician to get it through without the unit being in place... :D

There used to be a guy here on the forum that made and sold the stickers for $1 each. I am sure that comebody can ID him if he is still making and selling the stickers. I just do not remember who it was and I bought my 2 stickers 5 years ago...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Luckily I live in FL and dont have to worry about such things:D. Good luck!

·
Registered
796 Posts
Luckily I live in FL and dont have to worry about such things:D. Good luck!
Me too. The air pump was gone when I bought mine 6 yrs ago.- Lance

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
What does the air pump do?
Injects extra air into the system during startup "choke" cycles to reduce emissions. It only runs for a short period of time (forget how long). These get condensation in them and are a known source of failure. Thus the TSB...

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
The sticker alone won't do it. You need a cool or "gullible" emissions technician to get it through without the unit being in place... :D

There used to be a guy here on the forum that made and sold the stickers for $1 each. I am sure that comebody can ID him if he is still making and selling the stickers. I just do not remember who it was and I bought my 2 stickers 5 years ago...
Lots of misinformation here. First, you will pass a CA test with the pump and all its garbage gone. Second, you don't need a gullible or cool tech. Assuming you have the sticker and everything else is fine to pass a test, the tech "might" actually write the TSB # on your smog report. But the test results are transmitted electronically and if you pass, you pass. If you think a clerk in Sacramnento is actually going to crosscheck your smog test against that TSB number on a car that has already passed the test, then you are not aware that Calif state employees, who already have furlough days every month, could give a rats ass about such things. I have passed 3 times at different places with no problems.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Lots of misinformation here. First, you will pass a CA test with the pump and all its garbage gone. Second, you don't need a gullible or cool tech. Assuming you have the sticker and everything else is fine to pass a test, the tech "might" actually write the TSB # on your smog report. But the test results are transmitted electronically and if you pass, you pass. If you think a clerk in Sacramnento is actually going to crosscheck your smog test against that TSB number on a car that has already passed the test, then you are not aware that Calif state employees, who already have furlough days every month, could give a rats ass about such things. I have passed 3 times at different places with no problems.

Fair enough, but as of a couple of years ago, this WAS accurate as several of my friends in both the SF Bay Area and So Cal experienced the problem. If things have changed, it is news to me and I appreciate the clarification.

The issue was with the "visual" test and the fact that if removed from the car, the caps on the exhaust manifolds were the largest point of concern.

This is good news as there is a chance that I may end up back in the Bay Area and this would be one less thing to worry about.

Thanks again for the clarification.

Tim

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
"Second, you don't need a gullible or cool tech. Assuming you have the sticker and everything else is fine to pass a test, the tech "might" actually write the TSB # on your smog report. But the test results are transmitted electronically and if you pass, you pass."

Yes, you do. The fact that you passed 3 times has nothing to do with whether or not the poster will have a problem. There have been previous discussions here where someone encountered a smog guy who wouldn't pass a car even with the sticker. The car can fail even if the car passes on the computer. All it takes is to run into a guy like that at a test center and problems can ensue. Get a reference from someone on what test place to use before you go.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
"Second, you don't need a gullible or cool tech. Assuming you have the sticker and everything else is fine to pass a test, the tech "might" actually write the TSB # on your smog report. But the test results are transmitted electronically and if you pass, you pass."

Yes, you do. The fact that you passed 3 times has nothing to do with whether or not the poster will have a problem. There have been previous discussions here where someone encountered a smog guy who wouldn't pass a car even with the sticker. The car can fail even if the car passes on the computer. All it takes is to run into a guy like that at a test center and problems can ensue. Get a reference from someone on what test place to use before you go.

Yup! Being the person that I am, I went straight to the "official" source. My mechanic buddy in Livermore, Ca. Here is what he said:

Based on the TSB, yes, the system can be disabled mechanically. HOWEVER... The OEM equipment must be left in place as necessary to "pass" the visual inspection. There is nothing in the TSB that states that the equipment can be removed and technically, if the equipment is removed, it is altering or modifying the required emissions system and this "should" result in failure to pass the emissions test from a visual standpoint. It is a requirement in California (and other places I assume) that all factory installed emissions equipment must be in place to legally pass an emissions test.

That being the case, if the technician allows the vehicle to pass with the air pump system removed, he is risking losing his state license and looking at potential fines.

Now... are there technicians that will allow the cars to pass? Sure. Are there always ways around the systems? Sure.

This is the reason that it is always cool to have a friend in the business. :D

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Fair enough, but as of a couple of years ago, this WAS accurate as several of my friends in both the SF Bay Area and So Cal experienced the problem. If things have changed, it is news to me and I appreciate the clarification.

The issue was with the "visual" test and the fact that if removed from the car, the caps on the exhaust manifolds were the largest point of concern.

This is good news as there is a chance that I may end up back in the Bay Area and this would be one less thing to worry about.

Thanks again for the clarification.

Tim
Did your friends have the sticker with the TSB (not the version sold by the Superstore which does not have the TSB) posted next to the factory emission sticker? And was everything else in proper order? As for the visual inspection, the vapor cannister is not visable and a tech might note this just as he might note the TSB for the air pump. The key is to be able to pass the test with a properly maintained car that will not have any other red flags. Sometimes it pays to act dumb or innocent - don't be a jerk - be cool.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.