Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the damm tire shop torqued the lug nut so tight that even they couldn't get nut off themselves.They ended up rounded the nut :mad: So I went to the machine shop n see if they could get it off. The guy at the machine shop said that the only way to get the nut out is to cut the wheel and ruin it. Any ideas ????

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
So I went to the machine shop n see if they could get it off. The guy at the machine shop said that the only way to get the nut out is to cut the wheel and ruin it. Any ideas ????
Dont go to a machine shop. Go to a good tire shop, they should have some tools to remove rounded lugnuts.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I doubt you will be able to get the "nut cracker" around the lug nut. I bought a set of "Easy Off" or "Easy Out" (if I remember the name correctly) sockets from Sears, made by craftsmen.

They are designed with a spiral shape on the inside that tightens up on the stripped nut as you turn it counter-clockwise. It has saved me at least 3 times with lugnuts and exhaust manifold bolts. They are a little pricey, but WELL WORTH the money! (I got the full set.)

Good luck!:)

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well the machine shop welded another bolt on top of the one that was stuck and tried to take it out but left alot of metal on there so now I can't even get anything on there to remove it

·
Registered
399 Posts
So the damm tire shop torqued the lug nut so tight that even they couldn't get nut off themselves.They ended up rounded the nut :mad: So I went to the machine shop n see if they could get it off. The guy at the machine shop said that the only way to get the nut out is to cut the wheel and ruin it. Any ideas ????

I hate when that happens. I've had a couple cars that required the lug nuts to be drilled because they were on too tight. Ever since then, I've been afraid to let anyone torque the lugnuts on my cars. Do you still have the factory lug nuts? It's a lot easier with open lugnuts but, closed lugnuts can be drilled through as well. It took a while but, I've had to take a high-speed drill to the lugnuts and studs. There may be better ways but, this is what worked for me in the past.

I used various size drill bits to get the hole started. I had to drill in deep enough to weaken the stud. I removed all the other lug nuts and rocked the wheel back and forth until the stud broke off. Then I had to replace the stud of course. It took many hours to do it but, it was better the completely ruining the wheel. Good luck.

·
Registered
399 Posts
well the machine shop welded another bolt on top of the one that was stuck and tried to take it out but left alot of metal on there so now I can't even get anything on there to remove it
I didn't see this before I posted. That's messed up. Maybe that can be shaved down and then drilled through.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I used various size drill bits to get the hole started. I had to drill in deep enough to weaken the stud. I removed all the other lug nuts and rocked the wheel back and forth until the stud broke off. Then I had to replace the stud of course. It took many hours to do it but, it was better the completely ruining the wheel. Good luck.

Thats whats I was thinking off. Thanks I'll give it a shot

·
Registered
399 Posts
No problem. I had to do this twice. Both times were because the splines stripped on the studs after trying hard to remove the lugnut. The lugnuts were torqued down just that tight. Both the stud and lug nut would just spin freely. It takes a while but once you get to (or close to) the point were the wheel meets the rotor, the stud should break off with little effort.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
No problem. I had to do this twice. Both times were because the splines stripped on the studs after trying hard to remove the lugnut. The lugnuts were torqued down just that tight. Both the stud and lug nut would just spin freely. It takes a while but once you get to (or close to) the point were the wheel meets the rotor, the stud should break off with little effort.
It would suck but would it be possible to slide the whole axle shaft out and then grind the stud off from the back? It would probably require the unbolting of the caliper and it's hose too. I have no idea if this would work in practice, but it sounds good online.

- Brian

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
if you're careful with a torch, you can apply some heat to it and drive a slightly smaller socket onto a stripped lug, then try to turn it out. Works every time for me.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
this really depend on what kind of wheel u got. picture would help alot so i could throw some idea that would work.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Sucks when some "tech" at the tire shop goes to town on your lugs with the impact wrench... They're in such a hurry and torque those things down so tight. Ive had them break wheel bolts before at certain tire places too. They need to take the time to torque them down to specs...

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well i was out trying to drill that sucker out but not luck n too much mosquitoes. The rim is the stock ss rim and i'll try n get a pic tomorrow as I'm a little exhausted with this situation.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
well whatever damage u do down there u could still cover it up with the impala cap. i seen some people use a really strong lookin flat head and with a hammer bag it in the lug to crack it open.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Stop going to that machine shop! cwm3 I wouldn't trust ANYONE whose first suggestion was to cut the rim off! Sounds like he is just making it worse...

If you have ANY of the old lugnut showing, I'm telling ya... I've had great luck with the "Easy Out" Bolt out by Sears.
I found this link for you to see what I am talking about... every Sears carries it. I paid $20 for each set and it was WELL worth the money! You can tap one down on the messed up nut and let it do the rest as you wrench it off. http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...c&srccode=cii_10043468&cpncode=23-112970737-2

Unless the welding f***ed up the stud or welded the nut to the stud... then this tool won't do crap! :)
Since you already started drilling, it's prob best if you just continue and press in a new stud when done.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well i finally got it out. When through a few drill bits, a lot of hammering with different chilses. Then pull all the other nuts offs n rocked it back n forth and got it out. Where can I get the part to put back on the rotor>?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts