Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1996 BBB
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone have any experience with this pan? I am thinking of buying one from a forum member for my 396 stroker/D1SC project. Just wondering anyone has used it, and if they can comment on the quality/fit/clearance ect... Tried search but of course I got nothin. The car will mostly be a drag/street car but I am building it to handle half decent and I don't want any oil starvation around the twisties...moreso I figure the pan will still provide better oil control for drag racing launches than a stock one.

I have read about some of the canton pans leaking, but from what I hear the leaks are from bad welds? I have a Tig welder at work, could probably reinforce the welds if it needs it in any places.
thanks

· Registered
412 Posts
Anyone have any experience with this pan? Just wondering anyone has used it, and if they can comment on the quality/fit/clearance ect...
Sure! Engineering wise I believe Canton does their homework. As far as quality control and fitment, the pan ain't worth a sh1t!! I had commented extensively years ago on the subject on a Camaro forum as well as here. The problem is the incorrectly formed 'V' that provides the clearance for and around the dipstick tube. After contact with Canton it was clear to me that they chose to REFUSE to correct the problem and play dumb. While others also had issues with pan rail sealing, I did not as the surface was reasonably flat and true. Because of their unprofessional approach to correcting a legitimate forming/quality control issue, I can not in good conscience endorse or recommend ANY Canton product.

BTW, I chose to correct the problem in a professional manner by cutting out the area in question and graft in a section from an OEM pan. Now it fits (and looks) like an OEM pan in that area.

· Registered
1996 BBB
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sure! Engineering wise I believe Canton does their homework. As far as quality control and fitment, the pan ain't worth a sh1t!! I had commented extensively years ago on the subject on a Camaro forum as well as here. The problem is the incorrectly formed 'V' that provides the clearance for and around the dipstick tube. After contact with Canton it was clear to me that they chose to REFUSE to correct the problem and play dumb. While others also had issues with pan rail sealing, I did not as the surface was reasonably flat and true. Because of their unprofessional approach to correcting a legitimate forming/quality control issue, I can not in good conscience endorse or recommend ANY Canton product.

BTW, I chose to correct the problem in a professional manner by cutting out the area in question and graft in a section from an OEM pan. Now it fits (and looks) like an OEM pan in that area.

Could that problem be corrected with a say a lokar dipstick tube? The pan is so appealing to me because of the price. I suppose modding it wouldn't be too much to ask if I am getting it for cheaper than new. If the whole thing is a POS though, it's not worth all the trouble and I may stick with the stock pan then. Im running on a real limited budget, and I know oil control is not something to skimp on but this project has to get done someday lol

· Registered
2,684 Posts
I have instaled several.

oil filter base never fits right but a grinder will solve that.
not even ther billet oil distro block fits there pan!

All shorties and mids will fit
some long tubes will fit
GrotY long tube will need to be modded to fit

Look into an accusump while your at it.cwm7

· Registered
1996 BBB
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sweet thanks. I'd be getting an ATI balancer and pan for a little more than just the pan costs new, so it's worth a little work if that has to be done. Do you know if 1 3/4 quad 1's will fit? That's what I plan on using. Accusump would be NICE, just with budget concerns and all...and my want to keep things as simple as possible.

· Registered
412 Posts
Could that problem be corrected with a say a lokar dipstick tube?
If it protrudes below the pan rail, no! The clearance issue is inside the pan, below the pan rail.
...I know oil control is not something to skimp on...
It is not an oil control problem, the problem is a physical clearance one.
But as I stated, because of Canton's unethical approach to the problem, I can not endorse their products because of their dishonesty.

· Registered
412 Posts
I have instaled several.
Tad, how did you deal with the dipstick tube interference? I realize some hammered extra clearance on the pan and others just cut off the tube. Compared to an OEM pan, you must have noticed the lack of sharpness of the 'V' stamped in the Canton pan, no?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.