Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First we can no longer buy a new Opti spark and apparently now we can no longer buy an AC Delco cap & rotor kit? EVERYWHERE I looked says out of stock. I don't want some cheap inferior crap and I am currently running an MSD cap & rotor that I'm not happy with.

·
Super Moderator
8,232 Posts
So this is a dumb question but what's wrong with the MSD cap and rotor? For that matter, is there that much difference between caps and rotors? (speaking as someone who really never had problems with any optisparks on 7 LT1 cars, so forgive me for asking)

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So this is a dumb question but what's wrong with the MSD cap and rotor? For that matter, is there that much difference between caps and rotors? (speaking as someone who really never had problems with any optisparks on 7 LT1 cars, so forgive me for asking)
Well to start off with when I first bought my Impala 7 years ago I always do a full over maintenance since I have no idea what someone prior to me has done. Since I have a friend who works for MSD he got me the "friends deal" on parts. When I installed that MSD cap & rotor the engine literally ran for 45 seconds before something in the distributor cap failed and the engine wouldn't run. I swapped my ORIGINAL cap back on after taking everything apart again (lesson learned there for sure) but kept the MSD rotor installed a d the e gi e fired right back up. That alone scared me on the use of an MSD cap & rotor. Fast forward almost 6 years and I figured since I was going to replace the mechanical waterpump and install a Mezeire electric pump I should probably install a new cap & rotor again. I decided to go for another MSD set-up (not sure why, maybe just to give it another try and the fact I get a good deal on them). This time around didn't like how the cap fit and I never liked the 5th additional bolt they try to use. I didn't notice at the time but one of the seals slipped down on me during install (caught it about 3 mo ths later) so I made a call to my buddy who sent me a new set of seals. This time I ended up making a call to MSD tech support because I was supposed once again with 3 seals and wanted to know 100% WHY I was sent 3 with the original cap & rotor kit and now 3 again and I quickly learned that I had the seals installed in the wrong location (one came already on the cap) and I was also told there should only be 2 seals (I knew this much and MSD was surprised to learn their kit was sent with 3). Anyhow, I just don't want another MSD cap & rotor kit. I have few friends who also swear to ONLY run the AC Delco cap on these LT1 engines.

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
Not dumb, but quality of caps runs from stout to sketchy. ACD used to be id'ed by the yellow resin, and harder tensile plastic that appeared it would resist better from deflecting into the rotor if the vent harness is the least bit clogged, and round plug posts v. skinny little flat tabs. I used to try to keep straight on here whether Accel or MSD was having the quality issues, but it seems the negative rep was/is a moving target between those two. The quality likely moves around to reflect each aftermarket maker's warranty returns and then shoring up whatever weak point to make their unit barely passable. I can tell you the '15 vintage Spectra the prev owner installed has caps are FTL. But, there's got to be a new 'worst ever' out there by now to replace it.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
I have had a MSD C&R on a AC Delco Opti for years. Its my spare opti now, I have a Delphi which has a black cap and has worked flawlessly for a few years now.

Cap on the Delphi looks like this and has brass terminals

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=43030&cc=1049701&jsn=442&jsn=442

Unfortunately AC Delco is not what it was unless you find NOS. MSD likely goes with offshore manufacturing also

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have had a MSD C&R on a AC Delco Opti for years. Its my spare opti now, I have a Delphi which has a black cap and has worked flawlessly for a few years now.

Cap on the Delphi looks like this and has brass terminals

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=43030&cc=1049701&jsn=442&jsn=442

Unfortunately AC Delco is not what it was unless you find NOS. MSD likely goes with offshore manufacturing also
So that Standard Motors cap seems decent and has brass terminals?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
...that is my take on it but I have no direct experience using one

Perhaps in this case you get what you pay for as there are several other "less expensive" C&R's and RA generally has the better $ deal on parts
We shall see, I ordered the Standard Motor Products C&R a few days ago and should be here on Tuesday. Now just to find the time to replace my opti with a spare and install the new C&R.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
FWIW, I installed a summit racing house brand complete opti on my wagon. I believe it was about $260. It ran like a top in the 1000 or so miles before I sold it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts