Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says my 92 Chevy Caprice is accelerating realling slowly, and I mean slower than molases being poured out of a jar. It is like my car has lost all power and is running really rough. It does not matter if I floor it or tap the gas lightly the car just will not get up and go for nothing. It takes me about 20 secs to get to 15-20mph. At first I thought my car would not go over forty but it can make it to fifty-five if I have enough road, but it is really hard for me to hold it and sixty is out of the question. The problem did not start until I had a mechanic put a new fuel pump in my car because mine had fail about a month ago and the car has been sitting in my yard for about a month, but it ran fine before the fuel pump gave out. The mechanic told me if I got a tune up and fixed the exhaust leak I have then it should go back to running fine, but I know i had that same exhaust leak before my original fuel pump went out and it ran ok. Oh by the way my Caprice has the 305 v8 motor wit dual flowmasters on it and I changed the fuel filter before my fuel pump quit on me. I was plannin on changing the spark plugs and wires on my car but I have been ill for the last couple of days so it may have to wait for about another week or so. So what do you guys think my problem may be?

·
Registered
557 Posts
Sounds like it's time for a Tuneup.

If your Fuel Pump Checks out ok.

My 92 Chevy Caprice is accelerating really slow.
My car has lost all power and is running really rough.
Caprice has the 305 v8 motor.
I changed the fuel filter before my fuel pump quit on me.
Mechanic told me if I got a tune up and fixed the exhaust leak I have then it should go back to running fine.
I would listen to your mechanic.
When was the last time your engine had a tuneup?

Some of the items that may need attention since your last tuneup
Distributor Cap / Rotor - Sparkplugs - Sparkplug Wires - O2 Sensors - EGR Valve.

Wutz

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
1 Did you change the fuel filter?
2 You could have a bad fuel pump.
3 What does it act like at idle?
It does not diagnose like an ignition problem, and since the only thing you did was change the fuel pump, I would consider the fuel system suspect, not the ignition system.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1 Did you change the fuel filter?
2 You could have a bad fuel pump.
3 What does it act like at idle?
It does not diagnose like an ignition problem, and since the only thing you did was change the fuel pump, I would consider the fuel system suspect, not the ignition system.

1. yes the fuel filter was changed, but about a couple of days before my old fuel pump died.
2. could be possible, but to sick to find out at the moment.
3. At first it would just crank and then die after a few seconds, but now it will stay running like nothing it wrong until I try to drive off then it acts as if it wants to quit.

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
In nuetral, does it seem like wont rev past a certain point? The only real way to tell what its doing is with a tach.

Ive been through the same type of things.

Turns out the cats were clogged up.

Do you have cats? and how old are the flow masters?

Plugs and wires might be the first thing to check, after fuel pump.

Had a freind have one of his wire broken and burnt after he got exahust work done.

Also Injectors. Take the inake hat off, and look at the spray patter it should be a cone spray, give it some gas see if the cone gets stronger.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
No MAF. TBI.

My first vote would be for a clogged cat. Then maybe fuel pressure, as the swirl port TBI heads will generally withstand stupid lean conditions, even at WOT, since they mix pretty good. If it's running "smooth" then ignition is almost certainly not the problem, though you say "rough." Some kind of intake air restriction is also possible. No codes?

Maybe an ignition tuneup in order if it feels like it is missing pretty bad under load. How is the idle? Any puffing out of the exhaust?

·
Registered
457 Posts
I just didn't a lil tune up on mine. It just rolled over 100k so I replaced my spark plugs, ***. cap, rotor, and got some TBI cleaner and when buck wild on it. It runs a lot better. Next is the fuel filter, trans and rear end fluid change.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts