Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 Caprice 5.7 Lt1. What do you all really think about the CAI ? Will there be Hp gains from installing one like the ones on ebay for $40 ?? I have been debating weather I should throw a KN drop in filter, or get one of the inexpensive cai from ebay for $40 or weather I should just save all the money and leave the regular filter thats in there right now. I definately dont want to shell out $250 for the Raiss or the other high priced sets.

What do you guys think ??

I am leaning towards the $40 ebay cai but its real hot under the hood, I think it may be counterproductive to just be sucking in all that hot air into the motor... Anyone ever used an ebay cai and have better results with the car after putting it in or did it just about run the same ??

Do you think its better off keeping the factory airbox and using a better filter, such as a KN ??

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I would love to swap out my stock gears for 342's, I know that will make a world of difference, but I need to do that later on.

How will a ecu tune help temp. under the hood ?? Can the ecu be programmed to run the engine cooler ??

Has anyone else any input or experience with the ebay cai ?? or the KN drop in filter ??

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
You sir, need to download the SS handbook, and get yourself up to speed.

Google is your friend, if you can't find it on the forum.

Good Luck, and enjoy your LT1 !
-ALF out...

·
Registered
2,058 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow ... That Hydra intake set up is awesome ! Im sure that intake is surely producing some HP ...... I would love to design something similar for my LT1.

I have also looked at the SS Handbook and its awesome too. I think for now, im going to just drill some holes in the stock airbox and drop in a k&n and put the little sticker on one of my windows.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
... drill the holes in the bottom/lower part of the air box...

But you knew that.

};^)>

·
Premium Member
1,810 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I drilled a bunch of holes in the lower part of the intake box. I took the bottom half out, drilled holes in the front, on the side that faces against the fender and also at the bottom of the box. I did not drill any holes on the side of the box that faces the engine, thought it would draw in hot air through that side. I dropped in a K&N filter, and I dont know if its just me playing a Jedi mind trick on myself, but the car seems to be a little faster ...........

I think it may have worked, , now I dont know how long this fix is going to last, because I bet Im going to want to do something else to the car very soon. Does the throttle body bypass work ???

Will plugging that hose to the throttle body produce noticeable increased performance ??

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
This brings me back.... Haaa Haaa
"and I dont know if its just me playing a Jedi mind trick on myself, but the car seems to be a little faster ..........."

What you have is better throttle response, due to more air getting in quicker, i think.
And your SOTP gauge is telling you that. ;-)

If you did a test before and after at the track, the time slips may say otherwise,
but it's not about that.... "The Force is strong with this one...." :cool:
-ALF out...

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
The TB bypass works by re-routing your coolant so it no longer runs thru the TB (heating it up). Since the TB is cooler, the intake air is marginally cooler, and denser, so you make a.tiny bit more.power. cheap and easy mod.

HTH.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'd drop the K&N if I were you. Extra airflow is marginal. Reduction in filtering and life between cleanings is dramatic.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
get ya a 3 inch rice-boy tip to get rid of 1st base (the square box on intake) if you want fancy. or just do pvc pipe. either way is cheap and makes a straighter shot of air.

i noticed 'swiss-cheese'in the box makes a lil more noise. makes ya feel faster! hahaha

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all your input everybody ! Much appreciated...

I so far have done the following, with much of the credit going to Viceroy, a fellow member of the forum, who helped me out a great deal. I made holes in the stock air box and dropped in a K&N. Home plate was deleted as well, and Viceroy took care of finding some vacuum leaks and sorted them out. We also used some gum out by adding it to the engine oil and cleaned out carbon deposits from the past 18 years or so.

Car is running even nicer now !

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Plz go to 'User CP' (left end of blue bar above) and add your approximate location (DFW, LA, STL, etc.) so we know where this car 'is', in case anyone wants to lend a hand or put an eye-ball on any future issues.

$0.02

1 - 14 of 14 Posts