Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I have a chance of trading my 96 Neon for a 1996 Caprice, fully loaded with the LT1....

But is has 275.000 miles on it and was driven thouroughly, I assume...it runs on Liqified Petroleum Gas.

Here are some pics....Interior looks clean...but waddaya guys think? should I?

What can I expect? And what are those hoses on the upper fan shroud?

thnx!

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Trade a Neon for a Caprice? Every day of the week!

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does it ONLY run on LPG or is it able to also use regular gas?

Those hoses are probably part of the fuel delivery system I would guess.

What is the availability of LPG in your area?

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Should you trade a Neon for a Caprice,
you do relieze who you are asking here right ;)

Glad you found your next project, congrats :cool:

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys! Only thing is, driving two Caprices is pretty expensive over here, so I have to consider it really good! Neon is pretty low cost in maintenance, and the Caprice has done some nice miles..

But again...the interior en engine bay is pretty clean....and that tends to say something about the previous owner...

LPG availability is no problem over here.

I'll keep you all posted.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That well maintained interior! I bet the engine might be maintained as well.

As it being a Dual Fuel car too, yes its a gasoline running car and also you may choose to run LPG. Those hoses are for the LPG system. Also with a V08 heavy duty mechanical fan.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have no personal expierence with LPG, but I have read and seen pics of engines that had been run with it and it was my understanding that there is very very litte wear with it. Maybe someone with actual expierence with this will chime in.

You could also try a search with LPG in it. I believe it is fairly easy to convert it back if you wanted to, but check into it first. Good Luck.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i say go for it, neon for a caprice, miles it's nothing if it was taking care of, if the car puff out blue or white smoke, also look under the oil cap and see if it's clean, if not than you don't want to do the trading, also the car look nice and well taking care of out and in, also i think that if you drive normal, the caprice uses less gas that the neon. but that's just me.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Seems to me the biggest downside with LPG, in terms of vehicle longevity, is the amount of water that gets produced as a by product in the exhaust. I think it's more than when gasoline burns, so if short trips were taken, that would really be rough on the engine and exhaust. But at 275k, this probably wasn't a short trip car.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thnx guys, where would I be without the forum? :confused:

I'm thinking of taking the LPG system out, because it would costs me about 160 dollars a month, just to have it in the car. Crazy rules around here...I'm gonna call the guy tonight and set up a meeting.

If the engine runs well on gasoline (which a lot of LPG run engines do not tend to do after a while) and doens't blow out blue/white/black whatevercolor smoke too much, I might have a winner here.

Damn.....that would be cool! :cool:

I'll get back to ya.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Damn...the guy from that car just called me...it didn't pass the annual inspection. The tranny is shot....Overdrive and Drive is gone......

I knew there was something fishy about it....

Too bad...there will be more! :D

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, trading a Neon for a Caprice seems obvious, but over here, it isn't, trust me. We pay a lot of money here for having the car just sitting in the driveway (roadtax). Gas prices are abnormally high, 1.42 Euro per liter. Sorry, I don't have a conversion table at hand, but it is a lot of US dollars...

so different points are to be taken into account when purchasing a big RWD V8 over here...it sucks big time...

But my 91...they have to pry her from my cold dead hands before I get rid of her.... :D

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's $1.74 at this exact moment.

That comes to $6.587 per gallon. Here in Tampa, gas was $2.559 per gallon ($0.676 per liter). So, I pay 0.55 Euro per liter.

I'm gonna stop complaining about gas prices now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts