Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i remember it was sticky or a thread on here a while ago when i first joined, it explained all the rpo codes and other neccessary things to be able to tell (if your in the market for a caprice of impala) wether the car was a real ss or wether your caprice had a Lt1 or L99, was wondering could we start that back up for all the first time buyers and etc.... that information was very useful

thanks in advance

· Registered
2,116 Posts
RPO's to note:

LT1-- 5.7
L99-- 4.3
WX3--Impala SS
9C1 -- Police

All RPO's can be found on the inside of the trunk lid.

Here's one site (of many)
http://www.c2e.info/rpocodes/

· Registered
1,246 Posts
in some cases their are motor swap, so put the car on a lift or jack it up and look for either:

588 passenger side block indicating its and L99

327 passenger side of block indicating its and lt1

and if you'd like to dig further behind the passenger side head, only if removed you can see 5.7 stamped into the block and the 4.3's will have 4300...

· Banned
400 Posts
in some cases their are motor swap, so put the car on a lift or jack it up and look for either:

588 passenger side block indicating its and L99

327 passenger side of block indicating its and lt1

and if you'd like to dig further behind the passenger side head, only if removed you can see 5.7 stamped into the block and the 4.3's will have 4300...

You do know that the LT1 has 588 and 327 both on it I know both are on my 97 camaro LT1

· Premium Member
1,691 Posts
Muu said:
Its stamped behind the drivers side head.

· Registered
963 Posts

· Banned
400 Posts
he's right. their is a 588 casting in the back of the block i believe. theirs a 588 on one side and 327 on the other side, but under the block it will read 327 and as stated above behind the drivers side head it will also read GM5.7L

yep thats right it's behind the flexplate

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.