Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately its been on my mind that if I don't try and get one now, I'll probably never have the opportunity. At the same time, the other half of me tells me to wait until after I've finished school, have a good career and can afford a cleaner, unmolested example...I'm referring to buying an Impala SS. Impala's have basically been my dream car since I can remember,but I've always settled for 9c1 Caprices. Right now I have a very clean, and solid 9c1 with less than 90k miles that I've already invested alot of hard work and money into, but in the end it's still a Caprice. I love my Caprice and feel very fortunate just to have a clean, and reliable running car. Always getting compliments...The only way I could part ways with this car is if I sold it, and put that money towards an Impala which is what has been on my mind the last few days to do. I have a few concerns however....

I don't want to sell my solid and very clean Caprice for a tired, run down neglected Impala that's in way worse shape. Would I be able to find a good, decent condition Impala for around 5-6k?? I look at Impala's as somewhat collector car status and sorta impractical for daily driving so if I daily drive my cars should I just stick to my Caprice?? Is this a bad & impulsive move all together or should I take a chance and just go for it??? LOL Appreciate any advice :D

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I have a Roadmaster sedan and an Impala SS. BOTH are a pleasure to drive, as I'm sure a Caprice would be. IMO theres something Cool about the whole 9C1 "Cop motor, Cop Shocks, Cop Brakes" thing.

I recommend you NOT comprimise your education or financial situation, to replace a servicable car.

Get yourself the soundtrack to the original "Blues Brothers" movie, on CD and enjoy cruiseing in your 9C1, with the CD playing!

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
Check out the for sale section. I don't think you'll find a good clean taken care of SS for the price you said. Keep the cappy for now.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Dude your Caprice has less than 100k and you say it's clean and in good condition. Who gives a crap if it doesn't say Impala SS on the quarter panel? Got something to prove? They are the same car. I have a Caprice and I am proud of it and I wouldn't want to get rid of it for an Impala, ever. To me, Impalas in the stock form are boring to my eye. I get plenty of compliments and when someone refers to my car as an Impala I correct them. cwm1

·
Registered
854 Posts
I picked up my 96 DCM SS with 81,000 for 5 grand flat.
It was well taken care of and came with a few extras cause he had put it in a few car shows, but he knew it was worth more & didn't want the hassle of getting top money for it, plus he wanted it to go to a good home.

Good deals are out there, if one comes your way, grab it, if not don't force good money on a bad car.

The hardest part to accept is that a daily driver will inevitably get some wear. If you can be at peace with that, they are great to drive daily.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I picked up my 96 DCM SS with 81,000 for 5 grand flat.
It was well taken care of and came with a few extras cause he had put it in a few car shows, but he knew it was worth more & didn't want the hassle of getting top money for it, plus he wanted it to go to a good home.

Good deals are out there, if one comes your way, grab it, if not don't force good money on a bad car.

The hardest part to accept is that a daily driver will inevitably get some wear. If you can be at peace with that, they are great to drive daily.
A well taken care of 9C1 is a great car. (minus the bells and whistles) If you feel you MUST have an Impala, don't make a rash decision. My Impala SS is my daily driver and I wouldn't have it any other way.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I would NOT get rid of the 9C1 just to have a title and emblems that say "IMPALA SS"! The mileage that your car has is more than enough reason to keep it and build on it. Not to mention the fact that it really is not your ordinary everyday Caprice, it's a 9C1! Your car basically has everything the Impala SS does and more as far as drivetrain wise. Just get you some SS seats and everything else and build the Caprice SS that never came to the states. I got some SS seats front and rear that I will sell you for cheap to get you started!

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
funny how the impala owners say "get an ss! they are awesome"

and the caprice owners are "its the same thing! keep the caprice!"

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As mentioned it was just really on my mind lately......I know I have a gem on my hands so if it don't go for an Impala I'm gonna get it repainted this December. I probably wouldn't be considering letting it go more so had my Caprice came with the G80 rear end and the bilstein shocks LOL

·
Premium Member
9,190 Posts
As mentioned it was just really on my mind lately......I know I have a gem on my hands so if it don't go for an Impala I'm gonna get it repainted this December. I probably wouldn't be considering letting it go more so had my Caprice came with the G80 rear end and the bilstein shocks LOL
ok so buy a rear end of a impala or a powertrax locker

and i got some shocks i can sell you..

:D

next question?

·
Premium Member
9,190 Posts
funny how the impala owners say "get an ss! they are awesome"

and the caprice owners are "its the same thing! keep the caprice!"
i own a ss and a caprice and i say keep the damn caprice.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
i own a ss and a caprice and i say keep the damn caprice.
When Wolf says keep the damn Caprice...It's keep the damn Caprice :D

I just got a lot more work that still needs to be put into my car before I can be 100 percent satisfied. When your interior is half blue half gray you start thinking crazy. Also as mentioned, I've invested too much money and hard work to my Caprice that I would never have returned if I sold it. I've just always had a thing for BBB Impalas....6 years from now I bet it will be even harder to come across one.

·
Premium Member
9,190 Posts
When Wolf says keep the Caprice...It's keep the Caprice :D

I just got a lot more work that still needs to be put into my car before I can be 100 percent satisfied. When your interior is half blue half gray you start thinking crazy. Also as mentioned, I've invested too much money and hard work to my Caprice that I would never have returned if I sold it. I've just always had a thing for BBB Impalas....6 years from now I bet it will be even harder to come across one.
i dont...i say when your ready to own both your caprice and a ss then get it...

:D

ps...my caprice has red cloth seats ;\ gray door panels, blue back door panels, and rattle can paint job..

and she is still my baby ....

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
ps...my caprice has red cloth seats ; gray door panels, blue back door panels, and rattle can paint job..

and she is still my baby ....
Is that the Blue one?

I can understand wanting both. Keep the SS pristine like Revoh does and mod the phuck out of the 9C1.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I was in the exact same position as you a couple of months ago. I have always loved the 94-96 Impala SS but could never afford one. As I finished up my last semester at the CSU, I bought a very clean 9c1 for $1,000. I love the car....but it wasn't an Impala.

I wanted that collectible WX3 package, so after I graduated in December, I got a good job and found enough money for the Imp. However, during this time, I had fallen in love with my 9c1. Working on it and modding it since day one, I am coming to know every bolt on that car. i know it's strengths and weaknesses. If I were to sell it for the $1-2K that the world says it's worth and get a $10,000 SS, I would have to start over with a used GM product that will have it's share of problems. I would again have to take the time to get to know this new car, only now I wouldn't have extra cash to throw at it. I decided to keep my 9c1.

I realized that I fell in love with B-Bodies and not necessarily just the Impala SS.

Because you are still in school, keep the 9c1 and enjoy budgeting to keep modding it until it is what you want.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I was in the exact same position as you a couple of months ago. I have always loved the 94-96 Impala SS but could never afford one. As I finished up my last semester at the CSU, I bought a very clean 9c1 for $1,000. I love the car....but it wasn't an Impala.

I wanted that collectible WX3 package, so after I graduated in December, I got a good job and found enough money for the Imp. However, during this time, I had fallen in love with my 9c1. Working on it and modding it since day one, I am coming to know every bolt on that car. i know it's strengths and weaknesses. If I were to sell it for the $1-2K that the world says it's worth and get a $10,000 SS, I would have to start over with a used GM product that will have it's share of problems. I would again have to take the time to get to know this new car, only now I wouldn't have extra cash to throw at it. I decided to keep my 9c1.

I realized that I fell in love with B-Bodies and not necessarily just the Impala SS.

Because you are still in school, keep the 9c1 and enjoy budgeting to keep modding it until it is what you want.
this pretty much sums up my situation....thanks

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
I wrote a lengthy reply, but my IT guy rebooted my pc before I posted.

So I will say this...the SS will only make you feel warm and fuzzy inside, feel good about others impressed because you have a real SS (example, I don't feel less of a man when I correct ppl who call my car an Impala).

The only reason I'd get an Impala now is because:

1. Insurance - ask Wolf
2. Prices have dropped! And clean Caprice owners want way TOO much - ask me
3. Impala owners will generally take better care of their car because it is a SS...these are now almost 20 years old.

You know it's the same damn car. My title says Impala SS, so who cares.

For what it's worth, I don't mind as much because mine isn't a daily and I have a very nice agreed value insurance policy on it.

If I drove a Caprice with $15k into it but had liability or regular insurance, I'd be afraid.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts