Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was driving back to school today 10/4/09 and can't believe what I saw. I was driving on I-55 near exit 260 around Bolingbrook, IL. (District 5 I believe) On the northbound shoulder was a Illinois State Police Caprice behind a Dodge Charger. The Dodge could've been an unmarked unit, not sure. I only had a second to analyze the Caprice, but it looked like a '93/'94. It had full stainless wheel covers and appeared to be in good shape. It must be a backup car.

For those outside of Illinois - the Illinois State Police have an extremely old fleet of cars, with their average cruiser mileage being 120,000. Many have over 200k. Even for how long they keep stuff cars I can't believe they still have it. I just though I would share as I was very proud to still see an old Chevy doing work!!

It looked just like this one except with full stainless wheel covers and the old style mirrors mirrors.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
cool!
its crazy, i have 220k on mine and it still runs sooo smooth. and not one puff of smoke.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Not Police service, but I spotted a boxy Caprice, (89/90 I think) wagon still in use by the City of Plainfield, NJ earlier today. I've seen the boxy ones with light bars in Linden, NJ every once in a while too. I think the last one I've seen was parking enforcement, but they're still in use.

·
Registered
346 Posts
theres a dggm cappy that is the personal car of the chief at the local fire dept in jville, nc. i talked to him and he said it has 175k and he doesnt plan on uprading

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I saw at Raceway Park in English town NJ they have their own security that rides around the lot in an LT1 caprice. The car probably has never gone above 5mph.

·
Registered
346 Posts
also the head sheriff round here drives a still in service 1977 caprice, mileage unknown as i forgot to ask him

·
Registered
419 Posts
This one was in service until 2 years ago... Had I wanna say 240k on it. It's currently back forsale with 285k on it. It was the unit my dad drove.

ooo ooo can u get the push bar.... ??? i want one my car still has the holes in the bumper

·
Registered
419 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
the police department over here in Hayward, CA had one still in service a couple years back, and it was always the same officer driving it (he knew what he was driving). Haven't seen it for a while, but the gang task force division of the police department still has ONE black 9C1 in use. I see it here and there, badass

·
Registered
751 Posts
I was driving back to school today 10/4/09 and can't believe what I saw. I was driving on I-55 near exit 260 around Bolingbrook, IL. (District 5 I believe) On the northbound shoulder was a Illinois State Police Caprice behind a Dodge Charger. The Dodge could've been an unmarked unit, not sure. I only had a second to analyze the Caprice, but it looked like a '93/'94. It had full stainless wheel covers and appeared to be in good shape. It must be a backup car.

For those outside of Illinois - the Illinois State Police have an extremely old fleet of cars, with their average cruiser mileage being 120,000. Many have over 200k. Even for how long they keep stuff cars I can't believe they still have it. I just though I would share as I was very proud to still see an old Chevy doing work!!

It looked just like this one except with full stainless wheel covers and the old style mirrors mirrors.
although they keep their cars for a long time and high miles, I'm pretty sure that unit was saved from the crusher by an officer who loves it. It only works in that area, usually on I-55...I see it all the time, been on that beat for at least 5 years and it is a 94

·
Registered
425 Posts
I think I saw that car today, by the Rt. 30 exit pulling someone over, a quick glance and I think it looked like a 95-96. Could of been another one?

·
Registered
8,634 Posts
How much is he selling it for?
She is selling it for 1,350. I checked it over today, and it is pretty rough. Rust is eating it up. But I think I made a mistake. I don't think it's the same car. It just didn't feel right, when I looked at it. Looking deeper, I can see it once had the number's "36" ont he front fender. So unless unit 48 was once unit 36 (they have been known to "demote" the cars... this is a different retired county unit.

·
Registered
667 Posts

I got the chance today to see this car up close, and no I was not pulled over by it. The garage that I use to repair my cars also does repair work for Illinois State Police District 5. Well while I was there today guess what pulls in, car 5-95 a 1995 Caprice 9c1. I don't have camera on my phone, so I could not take any pictures. The trooper and I immediately started talking about the car. It currently has about 225k on it and is used as a spare car. According to him it's the last Caprice in the states inventory. For a car that has been driven year round in Illinois for the last 14 to 15 yrs the car is in remarkably good shape. It’s by no means a rust free trailer queen but it would actually make a great daily driver. The car itself is deceiving the body is straight and shows no signs of rust, the paint has held up well and the stripes are in good shape also. The undercarriage does have rust scale, but I saw no signs areas where rust has eaten through. The trooper that is using it loves the Caprices, he says that his regular car is an Impala and there’s no comparison. Its days are numbered though, if it needs any major repairs it will most likely be auctioned off as the state won't drop a lot of money into it. It needs shocks and there's something going on in the rear end, noisy, but oherwise I have to say that seeing this car and finding it in as good overall shape as it is was a real pleasant surprise.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Did your dad drive the p71 as well? What was his opinion when comparing the 2?
Not sure about his opinion but i myself have had 7 9C1's and 5 P71's.

I personaly like them both just the same.Both have their pro's and con's.... IMO the LT1 cars have always had a much stronger pull due to its push rod motor and 330 ft lb of torque.

The P71's to me felt nicer than the 9C1's.The P71 felt like i was cruising in a Lincoln town car.Also sound for sound the P71's 4.6L WOT sound was much better sounding than the LT1 cars.

A friend of mine recently sold a '95 9C1 Caprice that was just taken out of service not long ago.It was a plain jane light blue Caprice ex-detectives car.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
There is a 96 9c1 Caprice at Fanshawe College with ~200 mi on it.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.