Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a 92 Caprice parts car but it doesn't have any keys. Ignition switch has been broken out to tow it. I've tried to jump the starter but the fuel pump isn't pumping. Any idea how to get it start. Can I hot wire it some type of way need to get it in my shop to part it out

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
Push it.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No vats on this car that I know of. Can't push the car up the hill my shop is on. How do u apply 12 volts to fuel pump. I know it has something to do with the red wire under the hood by itself on passenger side

·
Registered
976 Posts
most tbi cars have a test wire that triggers the fuel pump relay.
generally it's red under hood comes off FP relay plug.
some also have it wired to obd port in car.
applying 12v to wire should energize relay turning pump on until power is removed.

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
No vats on this car that I know of. Can't push the car up the hill my shop is on. ...

Aside from the humorous aspect of pushing a 4,000# lump of $h1L even on level ground, I think reference was to get an old pickup truck or something humping it from the rear up that hill. (visual cues intended)

Interested after the FP jumper what next? Just hotwire to IGN1 and jump the starter with a screwdriver as in '50s-'80s? Or do you have to satisfy some additional parameter with the ETC sensor or ? or even PCM?

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Have it towed to your shop. If you want it to run, buy a new ignitions switch. Seems like a real auto shop would know that was the thing to do.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's a parts car with a busted steering column so why would I replace the ignition switch. And an actual auto shop would know what to do. Pretty funny. Trying to get it inside to strip down for a customers Impala. Using donor doors from a wreck. People come here for help not to get ridiculed by people. Keep your smart remarks to yourself

·
Premium Member
1,586 Posts
It's a parts car with a busted steering column so why would I replace the ignition switch. And an actual auto shop would know what to do. Pretty funny. Trying to get it inside to strip down for a customers Impala. Using donor doors from a wreck. People come here for help not to get ridiculed by people. Keep your smart remarks to yourself
How about a dumb remark? :surprise: Old tire minus wheel tied to front bumper of push vehicle. It's worked for me in the past.

Mark: Snowman-33

·
Registered
11,042 Posts
Not many parts from a 92 will fit an Impala. Front doors may not even fit properly. The front wheelhouses, core support, and frame need some mods to fit. Front fenders, hood, trunk lid, maybe the rear doors, glass, headlights, and not much else. Color will be different for all interior parts.

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
Trying to get it inside to strip down for a customers Impala.
Using donor doors from a wreck.
People come here for help not to get ridiculed by people.
Keep your smart remarks to yourself
Ridicule? Re-read your posts.
Red flag went up instantly as someone who is trying to steal a car.
Why would someone waste time trying to get a parts car running?
It would be a lot easier just to pull or push it no matter how steep your "hill" is.

Red flag down because a thief would know how to hotwire a car. ;)

NAB

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
Pretty good point(s) there. So forget the questions in my last post eh.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Firstly, you need the fuel pump working.
You can bypass the VAT by trying to install different (known) resistors on car's side. Then, you need to take off the steering wheel to modify the locker, which prevents the steering wheel rotation when the key is out. If these two tasks are accomplished, then you can start the car by pushing the ignition switch (down the steering column) with a 1/8" diameter 3' steel wire you can buy at Home Depot. I was starting my old 1991 Seville that way when a part inside the column broke. Good luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts