Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The choices are Viper 5900 or the Compustar 2WSS-AS. I want trunk protection as well as glass break and if it is there shock the hell out of someone that touches the car, sorry about that. Starter disable and battery disconnect built in also if possible. Let me know the in and outs of each from people that own these. They just took the face of my stereo and broke glass out on pass. front and took dash apart a little, nothing to major; THIS TIME.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think security systems are pointless. So what if the car makes a noise, the guy is still gonna be long gone by the time anyone gets to the car. A car alarm isn't going to scare off a professional. I would advise you to not leave your faceplate attached when you park the car. I leave mine locked in the glovebox or the trunk.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by Caddylack:
A car alarm isn't going to scare off a professional.
Yahh I would agree with some of that statement. I will tellya if his was just broken into, a alarm will at least keep the "NON-Professional" thiefs from attempting to take a stereo ETC... No alarm is going to stop all attempts to steal the car, but it will for sure s-l-o-w them down. Hopefully enough so you can keep your ride... Roger

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1- column lock

2- hood lock

3- alarm with ignition kill

do this and they can't take it unless tow truck equiped

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well dude took the alarm off e-bay. So now i think the viper 5900 p/n 5301v is my next choice. I am getting a hood and trunk pin switch, motion sensor for exterior of car(so if one gets close it will give warning and get even closer alrm triggers), and doing fuel pump cut off as mentioned on forum and the alarm comes with starter kill. Looking at Steadfast column lock also.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't forget the hood lock, the alarm doesn't help much if they just pop the hood and disconnect the battery or cut the siren wires.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
add the internal siren which puts out a high freq. that no humans can withstand and have second hidden siren with battery backup on all of it

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by hofiveo:
Well dude took the alarm off e-bay. So now i think the viper 5900 p/n 5301v is my next choice. I am getting a hood and trunk pin switch, motion sensor for exterior of car(so if one gets close it will give warning and get even closer alrm triggers), and doing fuel pump cut off as mentioned on forum and the alarm comes with starter kill. Looking at Steadfast column lock also.
Get ready for a lot of false alarms! BTW, do you have tinted windows?? If so the motion sensor will be a PITA to set properly.

Are you doing the install yourself? Not trying to insult you or anything, but you don't sound like you know how to set up a security system. The install is the key to security! 90% atleast

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've installed in my earlier years, mainly stereos. http://www.the12volt.com/adv/redirect.asp?id=108&way=ban&strRef=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ethe12volt%2Ecom%2FDefault%2Easp%3F has all the info for me to install it correctly, i use solder on everything electrical since 1985. I have few other tricks to hide the brain instead of under the dash. I want to wait for the new Compustar but the viper has everything i need for battery backup window up/down modules sensors and so on. Thanks for the help and advice.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
From the12volt.com for future referance
CHEVROLET / IMPALA / 1994 /

12volts red + ignition harness
Starter yellow + ignition harness
Ignition pink + ignition harness
Accessory orange + ignition harness

Power Lock lt. blue + drivers kick panel
Power Unlock white + drivers kick panel

Parking Lights+ brown headlight switch
Notes: Also found low in the drivers kick panel.

Door Trigger white - underdash light
Dome Supervision use door trigger

Trunk/Hatch Pin dk. green - low in drivers kick panel
Notes: Only available on some models.

Trunk/Hatch Release black/white + at switch

Tachometer red/black AC 4 pin plug below intake
Notes: Remove the air cleaner assembly to access the connector. The connector is located a few inches from the center of the motor towards the passenger side. The motor will not start with the air cleaner assembly removed.

Brake Wire white + at brake pedal switch
Horn Trigger black - steering column

LF Window up/dn dk. blue - brown Type A at drivers door switch
RF Window up/dn lt. blue - tan Type A at drivers door switch
LR Window up/dn dk. green - purple Type A at drivers door switch
RR Window up/dn lt. green - purple Type A at drivers door switch

Immobilizer Bypass Required: Yes
Type: VATS

let me know if there is anything wrong. I have not checked this with my Full Service Manuals.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
honestly i dont care how many stereos uve installed security systems whole nother game and i almost guarntee its a game u dont wanna play

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How hard can it be with a forum like theirs. It is like this site for our cars. I can solder wires together, they have all the wiring diagrams for installing relays, diodes and resistors. It is like painting with numbers. I am a perfectionist, it might take me awhile to find the wires but knowing how and where to cut the wires, soldering and keeping a "oem look" i can control that without paying more for an install that is show quality. Electrical for most people is yuk and for me to. But if i research and study and put forth a great effort it will be done and Done right!

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Go with the viper 5900. It is a very good alarm. I had that very same alarm installed in my ride just a few weeks ago. It has all the goodies including remote start.

I am impressed and happy with the range, alarm response, and ease of use.

I have Crimestopper remote start alarms in 3 of my rides.

I have a Code Alarm remote Start in my Riv and a regular viper alarm on my Elco.

The viper 5900 seems to be the most reliable of the bunch.

Hood locks, battery back ups, steering colums locks, and cut off switches help too. Good luck.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
DO NOT get an older model compustar 2was-ss. Mine shyt the bed very shortly after install. I was really pissed for a while, but admittedly I bought it on ebay so did not get a warranty.

My thinking was that I wanted to know exactly how it was installed on my 9C1 before I tackled the Cadi. There is no way in hell I'm gonn let some monkey rip into the cadi wire harness.

All things considered, compustar has a new model long range (frequency hopping) remote model that is very attractive. I may try again and just lick my wounds.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I know this isnt one of the choices, but i have a 791xv Viper, which I installed when I worked at a shop back in 2k4. now going on 3 years and no real problems, except for like jump starts, jump starts will fry your brain unit, so make sure you get one with a lifetime warranty!
Also, for the warranty to be valid on a VIper, it has to be installed by a dealer, so you can forget doing it yourself. But there are things you can do to make your install better, like add on the perriferals after the alarm is installed just so no one else knows where they are. I would have the dealer you choose install the alarm brain either behind the glove box or behind the passenger pillar panel, but not around the steering column (most common place installed) another place is above the ac controls. Then you can have them install and set up your motion sensor because tuning it for tint is a real pain. I would also install a backup battery system for the alarm, which has some stipulations, you can put the one with a keyed siren under the hood, which contains a battery and goes off when the car battery is disconnected and cant be cut off by a burgular. Then there is the backup battery, which will keep the brain powered if the car battery is disconnected, but the lights have to be run off a relay or you can fry the charging module. Then there is the option of hood locks, but i dont think they are necessary if you have a backup battery. The thing to keep in mind here is that a lock is meant to keep an honest person honest, if a thief wants your car, he will usually get it! and any kind of a relay applied detererent feature can be easily overcome by a competent thief.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Damn!!!!!!!!!

After reading all this info on which alarm to get, some of you make it sound like if a mutha!([email protected]% crook or carjacker realy wants my ride, he's gonna get it nomatter what kind of alarm I have

:(

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Originally posted by RhinoSS:
Damn!!!!!!!!!

After reading all this info on which alarm to get, some of you make it sound like if a mutha!([email protected]% crook or carjacker realy wants my ride, he's gonna get it nomatter what kind of alarm I have

:(
Especially a thief with a tow truck! :eek:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts