Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all i got a 96 fleetwood and i was cleaning my car while it was running then about 10 minutes it cut off on me? I started it back up and came on but seemed like it was a struggle running like it was clunking or starving of fuel???then it cut off again and now wont come on at all but will start. These lt1s are fun they say馃槶 any help would be appreciated

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
That i have not checked as of yet. But will be doing that and to see if i can hear the pump in the rear

Registered
Yes, sounds exactly like fuel pump death. Tests to start with:

If you press the needle in the Schrader valve in the metal fuel line at the back of the intake manifold, a little gas should come out under pressure.

If you hold the needle down and get somebody to turn the key "on", in the first second or so pressurized fuel should come out of the valve.

Put your head down in front of the rear tire and have somebody turn the key on. The in-tank pump isn't loud, but you should be able to hear it run for about a second.

These don't guarantee bad pump, but they do say fuel problem.

Reactions: BIGBODY9SIX

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
I couldn't find the valve but moved on to hearing the pump from the back i hear something but not sure if its that or my rear antenna im hearing?? But i did put a wire to the 12v battery to the fuel pump wire harness by the fuse box under the hood and i hear pressure at the motor everytime i hit it with the 12v?

Registered
you really need to hook up a FP gauge to the schrader valve that is top/rear of intake to confirm you have "full" FP vs just listening to the pump

The gauge should immediately snap to about 45-47 psi then drop to about 42 when pump stops priming. If FP drops while engine is running, pump is weak and needs replacing

Registered
Unless you can vouch for that gauge, put a couple more gallons of gas in. When my needle gets there - it's near bone dry.

Reactions: BIGBODY9SIX

Super Moderator
Is that:
  • key on, not started?
  • running?
  • revving?

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
Only key on. But it jumps higher for a second when key on but sets low right at 40 psi . kt doesnt run

1 - 14 of 14 Posts