Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here's my deal....

I got a 96 impala SS and whenever im driving the car seems to just cut off at anytime. But wen i let the car sit for a few minutes after being cutoff in the main road :(, the car would crank up with no problem :confused:

I seem to notice this one time that when i seemed to floor it on the gas the car would go into overdrive and take off for about a good few feet then jus cut off.

Im juggling these two things in my head, its either my Ignition module or my distributor

The only engine code i get is a P1371... any ideas any1

·
Registered
731 Posts
That's the worse of the two opti codes, although neither one of them is good at all. P1371 means you are losing the low res signal (the signal that tells the pcm to fire the coil). Unlike the other opti code below, the pcm has no "backup" or "limp home" plan to deal with this code.

P1370 is the high res/injector pulse signal loss. If you lose this signal, the car will start up after about 8-12 seconds of continuous cranking once the code sets (borrowed time, opti R&R is inevitable)

-Check your opti electrical harness connector on the opti side 1st, it can cause both opti codes to manifest if its loose (if you can get it cranked, try lightly wiggling the connector with a long screwdriver and see if the car stumbles or reacts).

Other than that, I'd wager it's opti time (the whole opti and all front cover seals, not just the cap and rotor. Really, the OS in the back part is the originator of the code, not just the C&R).

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Other than that, I'd wager it's opti time (the whole opti and all front cover seals, not just the cap and rotor. Really, the OS in the back part is the originator of the code, not just the C&R).[/quote]

The car can start up no problem. My mechanic told me to change the pigtail for the crankshaft position sensor first. And i bought a piece of **** distributor with cap and rotor from autozone about 2 months ago. But ima try out the wiggle test first. The other day i had the car running and jus kept on tapping on the ICM to see if the car acts up, but nothing

oh and BTW another question i have is my engine runs rich on one side (passenger) could it be the ICM??

·
Registered
731 Posts
You can try the CPS/pigtail, but it looks to me like it would throw its own dedicated code (P0335, P0336 iirc) if it was the issue (I was under assumption the CPS is only used for misfire detection on the obdII GenII engines, comparing its signal to the low-res signal from the opti...).

FWIW, when my opti kept getting oil inside it, it would only go around 7 miles in any direction and then die (the distance got shorter as the issue progressed).

Sometimes it would start back almost instantly, sometimes it wouldn't crank until I got it home and attempted to see, just for kicks, if it would start up to back it off the rollback :mad:
Regardless, if it cranked back, I was in a mad dash to get back home ASAP because I learned the hard way that once this starts happening, the car isn't trustworty to drive.

In time it got to the point it wouldn't even hit while cranking, and had a perpetual code 16 (obd1 equivalent of P1371), thus I was taken to school on opti's....

About running rich, has it done it since the new opti or was it already going on? Opti's that are known to be acting up can cause fuel trim issues.

If the pcm is receiving a "dirty signal" for the high-res, it can cause individual injectors to not fire at random, causing the pcm to try and adjust for the new condition (its in vain, as the condition will be inconsistent).

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wow cwm9 ... sounds like u know your chit...

Ima go wit the opti then since u had kinda the same problem with yours. my opti came from autozone :mad: dam SOB's

The running rich problem started way back in february on the passenger side bank, i changed the coil, plugs, wires, fuel filter, air filter but cant seem to figure it out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts