Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, im new to the site and to the caprice/impala world. i recently traded my bagged 89 suburban for a bagged caprice wagon. wagon is a lot cleanier but doesnt run. I was told it is an injector bad. really dont have faith in one injector holding back the engine. however the engine was about 2 quarts heavy in the oil pan and smelt like straight gasoline.

I have checked fuel pressure (good +/- 40 psi), checked the FPR (no leaking out the vacuum), and checked for spark (good)

im in the process of changing the plug wires, just not to enthused with this texas heat. got the driver side done lol dragging tail on pass side.

anything i might be missing to check? besides injectors? seems like a lot of gas in the oil, but guess if they just kept cranking on it, it could happen.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
If you cranked it long enough to get 2 quarts of gas in the oil pan, you also get to change your spark plugs and oil, because you washed down the cylinders with gas and gas-fouled the plugs.

Does the fuel pressure stay constant after you turn the ignition key off, or does it drop/bleed off 'quickly' (indicating that an injector is hanging open)?

Do you still have spark at each plug? (thinking that you forgot to hook up the coil wire when you changed plug wires - a timing light with inductive pick-up or similar can help diagnose this).

It will run on 7 cylinders - like crap, but it will run.

No 'codes' (No CEL - 'Check Engine Light' on the dash)?

Dreaded opti failure?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah def changing the oil, since it was hazardously gasoline. just bought the car from someone else that couldn't beat the issue. it was holding pressure, but was using a friends a/c charge gauge. going to buy a gauge and light and nail it out this weekend. hadnt checked spark to all, but i'm in the process of changing the wires to confirm good connection. Opti failure is what i am dreading, but def a possibility. Just too busy with work to hit it during the week.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok pulled the fuel rail, there are no leaky injectors. Car cranks up and runs for a min with the fuel rail disconnected and injectors shooting into ports.. I just rented a gauge from autozone. Car hits 42 psi and fuel pressure immediately starts dropping as soon as pump shuts off...

Fuel Pressure regulator? Looks new and isn't leaking from vacuum port..

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
How did so much fuel get into the oil without a leaking injector? Your pressure issue could just be a bad anti-drainback valve in the fuel pump, but I would double check the injectors.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
previous owner swears there was a bad injector couldnt believe one cylinder would hold back the whole engine. the oil was 2 quarts heavy, and all of it smelled like gas

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i checked the injectors 4 more times today. still no leaks... car is still flooding, today it slowed down spinning like its hydro locked! pulled the driver side plugs they were all wet. car is still not spinning up to speed. going to pull the other plugs as soon as i can.

Unplugged the ect sensor and reset to computer hoping that would slow down the fuel but no luck.

really stumped here

·
Registered
772 Posts
i checked the injectors 4 more times today. still no leaks... car is still flooding, today it slowed down spinning like its hydro locked! pulled the driver side plugs they were all wet. car is still not spinning up to speed. going to pull the other plugs as soon as i can.

Unplugged the ect sensor and reset to computer hoping that would slow down the fuel but no luck.

really stumped here
pass side plugs and wires are a bitch you will soon learn hope you figure it out looks clean from the pics!

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
Try a different PCM....injector driver software could be shot.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Have you checked all the fuses under the hood to see if they are good?? a blown fuse goes a long ways...

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Yeah was cranking the crap out of mine all to find a blown pcm fuse under the hood:mad: lesson learned on my part,always check fuses first..

So just to recap you are getting spark to the coil and all wires right?? and your fuel pressure is fine?? injectors are not leaking your changing plugs and wires...is all this correct?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yup, fire on all plugs, got 4 plugs out, haven't gone through with changing the plugs and wires completely yet cuz it just looks like a pita, and the fuel is still overwhelming when i turn the engine over.

fuel pressure is at 42 psi drops after pump stays off, figured that only hurts it on prime up. no leak on any injectors.

fuel pressure regulator looks new

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
Stupid question....is the MAF pointing the right direction? I don't know that it would cause a flooding issue, but......

1 - 19 of 19 Posts