Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my impala keeps shaking at complete stops and then goes back to normal after idleling for a few seconds but shakes again as soon as i start stopping and when im at the complete stop. i have tried almost everything, i spent a good chunk of my pay check replacing plugs and wires, i cleaned my throttle body real good, checked my air filter and my MAF sensor and they were clean, poured in some lucas injector cleaner, checked the coil, and checked all vacuum hoses and replace the pcv valve and i fear that i might have to take it to a mechanic, i know thats everyones worse nightmare. so please help me out guys, my patience and money is running low, and i dont want to see any mechanics in the near future but i might have to do so. some people have suggested that maybe i need a new alternator because it isnt supplying enough juice to the fuel pump or the cpu, i dont know how good of an idea that might be but my alternator did fail the test at autozone after i dropped it on the floor the other day, when all this shaking started. could it also be a dirty fuel filter? help me out guys, im begging you

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
...some people have suggested that maybe i need a new alternator because it isnt supplying enough juice to the fuel pump or the cpu, i dont know how good of an idea that might be but my alternator did fail the test at autozone after i dropped it on the floor the other day, when all this shaking started.
...I think you already know where to start. Dropping electrical (or most auto parts, for that matter) is not generally going to end well.

Just out of curiousity, is your CEL on?

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
...I think you already know where to start. Dropping electrical (or most auto parts, for that matter) is not generally going to end well.

at the risk of sounding ignorant what is the CEL?

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

oh check engine light, no it doesnt come on unless its been idling in neutral for about 5 minutes, like when im at the drive thru or at the bank window

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
^^^lol. o yea, thats fine. thats suppose to happen o_O. whats the code for that?

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
also, does it happen when the car is cold or only warm? possibly o2's or egr valve...

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it happens when its warm

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'd be looking at the EGR valve.
when i step on the gas and the car goes back to normal i hear a pop around the area of the cat converter on the driver side, could the cat be clogged or dirty and thats whats causing the problem? and its happening oth when the car is cold and warm, sometimes it just decides to act normally by itself but when i stop and shift gears it will start to mess up again

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
^^^lol. o yea, thats fine. thats suppose to happen o_O. whats the code for that?
i found out what the problem is, its the injectors, but not the injectors themselves, its the power going to them. i gave up and took it to my friends shop and had him hook it up to the computer and it turns out that its not sending power to the injectors for some reason. it will send power and then it just decides to stop giving the injectors power. might be the pcm, or its shorting out somewhere. my friend will have it fixed by tomarrow. hopefully he still remembers he is my friend once he decides what to charge me. lol. also we found another code while we were at it. my left o2 sensor tells me that its running lean, due to a small leak in the left manifold, but nothing too serious, im lucky that thats the easy manifold to replace huh

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Doubtful it's the PCM, its much more likely a bad connection at the injector(s).

As for your manifold leak, I assume you mean exhaust manifold. They usually leak due to broken bolts, usually the rear bolt, and not because of a bad manifold. Good gaskets and proper torquing of the bolts can go a long way, but sometimes the only way to truly get the leak to stop is to get the broken bolt removed. They always seem to break flush with the cylinder head.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Doubtful it's the PCM, its much more likely a bad connection at the injector(s).

As for your manifold leak, I assume you mean exhaust manifold. They usually leak due to broken bolts, usually the rear bolt, and not because of a bad manifold. Good gaskets and proper torquing of the bolts can go a long way, but sometimes the only way to truly get the leak to stop is to get the broken bolt removed. They always seem to break flush with the cylinder head.
well the thing that was wrong was that the plug didnt have any current. and the exhaust manifold eak must be a real small one because you can barely hear it. i will look for it when i get my impala back. may be a pinhole leak. that could probably be welded huh?

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Either an exhaust leak or intake manifold leak. Both will causes lean codes....

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
It's the injector wires. They get funky over the years and start getting intermittant. The wires near the injectors get damaged inside the insulation, especially the one on the driver's side crushed under the wiring harness.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.