Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is annoying me. I think it might be ball joints or control arm bushings, but 4 shops tell me everything is fine.

It's getting worse. I've rotated my tires and they are wearing normally.

Anyone have any experince with something like this?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I would suggest greasing the steering stops. I believe that is the recommendation of the FSM. I am sure you can find the exact procedure with a search, but it should just involve a thin film of grease on the surface where contact is made.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had a lower ball joint stud that was loose in the spindle. It was not easy to detect, and I can imagine some shops might miss it.
Support the front of the car with jack stands as far out on the lower control arm as you can get them without touching the tire. Grab the tire at the top and bottom and try to move it in and out with a lot of force. You are trying to move around 100 lbs of dead weight - wheel, tire, rotor, caliper, and part of the weight of the spindle. Put the force on the bottom, then on the top. If there is any movement, have someone else look to see where the movement is at.
Many techs today just check the lower ball joint by looking at how far the grease fitting sticks out of the ball joint. That checks for wear in the ball socket, but does nothing to check the fit of the stud in the spindle.
Also look and be sure the nuts on the ball joint studs are tight. There was a recall to check the torque of some of the ball joint nuts back in the day. Oh, and don’t believe the torque in the Factory Service Manual – it is listed wrong there.

SMU - SECTION 3C - REVISED TORQUE SPECIFICATIONS #53-33-02A - (06/01/1995)
1. REVISION: 06/12/95
THIS BULLETIN IS BEING REVISED TO ADD THE CADILLAC FLEETWOOD. PLEASE DISCARD CORPORATE BULLETIN NUMBER 53-33-02 (SECTION 3 - STEERING/ SUSPENSION). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- SERVICE MANUAL UPDATE ----------------------------------------------------------------------
SUBJECT: SECTION 3C - REVISED TORQUE SPECIFICATION FOR STEERING KNUCKLE NUTS (UPPER AND LOWER)
MODELS: 1993-95 BUICK ROADMASTER 1993-95 CADILLAC FLEETWOOD 1993-95 CHEVROLET CAPRICE 1994-95 CHEVROLET IMPALA SS
THE TORQUE SPECIFICATION FOR UPPER AND LOWER STEERING KNUCKLE NUTS SHOULD BE AS FOLLOWS:
TIGHTEN
. STEERING KNUCKLE NUT (UPPER) (1) TO 83 N.M (61 LB FT), ADDITIONAL TIGHTENING MAY BE REQUIRED TO INSERT COTTER PIN (3). DO NOT EXCEED 60 DEGREES ADDITIONAL TIGHTENING.
. STEERING KNUCKLE NUT (LOWER) (2) TO 112 N.M (83 LB FT), ADDITIONAL TIGHTENING MAY BE REQUIRED TO INSERT COTTER PIN (3). DO NOT EXCEED 60 DEGREES ADDITIONAL TIGHTENING.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.