Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
uhhh yeah man... save up for an opti! cwm3
really tho, it doesnt always end up so bad. id say just let it dry out for a day or so and see if it runs better. sometimes it will go away but like said above, and with my own experience, it doesnt ALWAYS end up good. i changed my WP when i first got the ride (not having a clue what the opti was) and got it all wet. it took about 6mths and the opti passed out on me.

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
Oh, boy. Opti-spark is the distributor that is mounted on the front of the engine, under the water-pump. If it's factory, it's kind of a baby-sh!t brown color. It might have some water in it. Is the car stock, to your knowledge?

This might correct itself, assuming the ventilation tubes leading down to the unit are working. But my experience has been, once water gets inside, it's on it's last legs. Pull the blue elbow up out of the intake ducting (leaving the small hose attached to it, of course) , and stick your finger over it. With engine idling, feel for nice strong vacuum. If present, reinstall and let the motor dry the distributor out.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
and its good preventative insurance to also grab a new vaccuum harness while your at it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Oh, boy. Opti-spark is the distributor that is mounted on the front of the engine, under the water-pump. If it's factory, it's kind of a baby-sh!t brown color. It might have some water in it. Is the car stock, to your knowledge?

This might correct itself, assuming the ventilation tubes leading down to the unit are working. But my experience has been, once water gets inside, it's on it's last legs. Pull the blue elbow up out of the intake ducting (leaving the small hose attached to it, of course) , and stick your finger over it. With engine idling, feel for nice strong vacuum. If present, reinstall and let the motor dry the distributor out.

SO IF THEIR IS NO VACUUM FROM THE BLUE ELBOW, THAT IS BAD??

·
Registered
731 Posts
Ive always tested mine by putting a small piece of thin paper to the hose that connects to the blue elbow. If it sticks to the hose, vacuum is flowing. The blue elbow is where the vent hose gets fresh air from, and the vaccum side comes from intake. The reason for the paper is that with the vent harness restrictor valve, its hard to determine if its flowing just by feeling for vacuum.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Ive always tested mine by putting a small piece of thin paper to the hose that connects to the blue elbow. If it sticks to the hose, vacuum is flowing. The blue elbow is where the vent hose gets fresh air from, and the vaccum side comes from intake. The reason for the paper is that with the vent harness restrictor valve, its hard to determine if its flowing just by feeling for vacuum.

JUST DID THE PAPER TEST, AND YEP NO VACUUM WHAT SO EVER. HOW DO I SOLVE THIS PROBLEM????

·
Registered
731 Posts
First, make sure its connected to the opti and the intake, and if it is, its time for a new vent harness! From what i understand, the restrictor valve can become clogged, and you have to get the entire vent harness assy. to get just the valve. Like SEOK stated above, its good practice anyways, and from others experiences, the vented opti with a clogged vent harness isnt long for this world...

·
Registered
56 Posts
First, make sure its connected to the opti and the intake, and if it is, its time for a new vent harness! From what i understand, the restrictor valve can become clogged, and you have to get the entire vent harness assy. to get just the valve. Like SEOK stated above, its good practice anyways, and from others experiences, the vented opti with a clogged vent harness isnt long for this world...

WHAT KINDA SYMTOPMS WOULD A CLOGGED VENT CAUSE?? JUST CURIOUS

·
Registered
731 Posts
Premature opti failure, as since the opti wont be able to clear the condenstation from inside without fresh air flow. It also helps keep corrosion down on the cap side, pulling the oxidation gasses created by the spark transfer from the rotor to the cap out. Opti will fail sooner, with typical opti failure symtoms (hesitation, random misfiring, hard starting and eventualy intermittent dieing, until one day it wont crank at all!)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Premature opti failure, as since the opti wont be able to clear the condenstation from inside without fresh air flow. It also helps keep corrosion down on the cap side, pulling the oxidation gasses created by the spark transfer from the rotor to the cap out. Opti will fail sooner, with typical opti failure symtoms (hesitation, random misfiring, hard starting and eventualy intermittent dieing, until one day it wont crank at all!)
WOULD THIS ALSO RETARD MY TIMING THEREFORE LEADING UP TO SLIGHT PING AT TIMES WHEN IT MISFIRES

·
Registered
731 Posts
Its possible, optis cause a PLETHORA of different problems. Give us a little more info. How old is your opti? When are you experiencing a misfire? Alot of times, detonation (pinging) can be caused by a bad EGR valve. My 95 had a misfire with pinging under heavy acceleration, but mine was a SEVERELY clogged pass. side cat. BUT if your opti vent harness is fubar'd, it needs to be replaced soon anyways.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Its possible, optis cause a PLETHORA of different problems. Give us a little more info. How old is your opti? When are you experiencing a misfire? Alot of times, detonation (pinging) can be caused by a bad EGR valve. My 95 had a misfire with pinging under heavy acceleration, but mine was a SEVERELY clogged pass. side cat. BUT if your opti vent harness is fubar'd, it needs to be replaced soon anyways.

THE OPTI HAS 130K ON IT AND CAP AND ROTOR HAVE ABOUT 31K. IT HAS HAD WATER ISSUES BEFORE, AND ALSO WHAT WOULD CAUSE MY EXHAUST TO PUTT? WHEN I PUT MY HAND UNDER MY PIPES I CAN FEEL IT GOING LIKE PUTT, PUTTM PUTT INSTEAD OF SMOOTH FLOWING.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Is it "putting" on both sides equaly? The way i finally diagnosed my clogged cat was comparing the exhaust flow between both sides. Pass. side was weak compared to the drivers side (and it stank like sulfur, pass. side manifold would glow red, and it ran faster with 1/2 throttle than it did to the floor). As far as the opti, the optical sensor can get damaged by excess condensation, and the vent harness being clogged will not help things either.

·
Registered
930 Posts
before some one bitch's at you for using CAPS LOCK I will just say it in a nice way Please turn off your caps lock before typing, its like your yelling on the internet. Now that you know you should not blast the engine with water Good luck with your Opti Problem I sure hope mine does not go tits up soon!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Is it "putting" on both sides equaly? The way i finally diagnosed my clogged cat was comparing the exhaust flow between both sides. Pass. side was weak compared to the drivers side (and it stank like sulfur, pass. side manifold would glow red, and it ran faster with 1/2 throttle than it did to the floor). As far as the opti, the optical sensor can get damaged by excess condensation, and the vent harness being clogged will not help things either.

AS FAR AS THE OPTI, I'M GO TO DO THE CAP AND ROTOR TOMORROW, AND YES BOTH FLOW AND PUTT EQUALLY. AND WHEN I'M SITTING IN THE CAR MY REARVEIW MIRROR AND PASS SEAT ARE SHAKING DUE TO THE PUTTING BUT IF I GIVE IT JUST A LIL BIT OF GAS IT SMOOTHS OUT. KRAZY

·
Registered
731 Posts
That could fix it, since you said you had water leak problems in the past. Also be warned, It COULD also be the back half of the opti too, since the optical sensor dont like moisture. It sounds to me like its missing. Also check your plug wires too, one arcing will cause a rough, shaky idle as well. Since you say the vent harness is clogged, dont forget to pick one up as well, you will be doing another opti soon if not!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.