Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today my car suddenly stalled. It runs fine in park but when I shift to D and go a few meters it stalls. It starts right up again and runs fine in P. Any ideas what can be wrong?

·
Registered
884 Posts
if high millage possible cat,bad fuel pump (check the fuel pressure),check fuel pressure regulator,take the vacuum line off of it if you see it is wet with fuel,it is bad

·
Registered
7,984 Posts
Today my car suddenly stalled. It runs fine in park but when I shift to D and go a few meters it stalls. It starts right up again and runs fine in P. Any ideas what can be wrong?
Its really hard to say since there is not a lot of info provided. You should let us know what year/make/model car and guessing its the caddy but your handle has "SS" so not even sure which car we are talking about. :confused: Not that it should matter much since both should have LT1's but believe there is quite a bit of differnce in certain Controls and Electrical items.

The problem you have needs to be diagnosed a little more if we are to help. Anything else would strickly be guesswork at this point. If you can, let us know what kind of diagnostics you've done so far. Issues like you are having could be anything from fuel to electrical to some sort of both.

When you say it only goes a few meters, I assume from giving it gas....what happens if you try to "feather" the fuel and keep it running? Does it sit there and idle and only quits once giving it the gas and/or moving? Do you hear the Fuel Pump still "humming" before it quits? Maybe you are loosing Electrical Power to a certain compnet when this happens? These are all examples of more Clues you could provide us that could maybe help us to help you.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
it´s a 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Lt1. Isn´t my signature pic visible? I can see it!
What does "feathering" the gas mean? (English is not my native language:confused:):)

Edit: I started the car and it starts fine, runs perfect in idle and the throttle response is perfect.

·
Registered
7,984 Posts
it´s a 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Lt1. Isn´t my signature pic visible? I can see it!
What does "feathering" the gas mean? (English is not my native language:confused:):)
Yep, as I mentioned I saw the Fleetwood, it's just that some here have more than 1 vehicle and the "SS" in your name. Anywho....its just helpful to supply as much data on your car as possible when posting.

By "feathering" the gas, I was referring to lightly applying gas to get the car moving and giving it a little gas at a time to get/keep the car moving. Suspecting a Fuel volume or Pressure issue, it is possible that the car idles fine, but then put it in gear, give it some gas and it starts to bog down cause it can't supply enough fuel to keep up with the air flow coming in from the Throttle Body.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok then "feathering" makes sense to me:) I will try that. But wouldn´t the car run bad when I gave it gas in P? It ran fine even at 3-4000rpm

About the "SS" in my sig, I used to own a very nice 1995 Impala SS and I had this signature since 2001 when I joined the forum.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Check the ICM, then the coil. Be sure the fuel filter has been changed recently. Then check fuel pressure. Those are the most likely causes of your symptoms. If you have to replace the ICM, be sure to use heat sink paste. not dielectric grease. Good luck.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What happens when you're in drive with the foot on the brake and you "feather" the gas up a few rpms?
Does it stall out or keep running?
I justs took the car out for 15-20min, got the motor real hot and the car runs perfect now??
Can I exclude the fuelpressure and the fuelfilter do you Think?

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Polly still runs fine. I bought a bottle of Redline Sl1 injection cleaner today. I got a tip that the injectors might need a cleaning. We´ll see if the problem occurs again..

·
Registered
586 Posts
Put a fuel pressure gauge on it and see where you are with respect to fuel pressure. Make sure you test it with the vacuum hose hooked up and with the vacuum hose disconnected to verify it functions.

Pulling the vacuum hose will also verify that you don't have a torn fuel pressure regulator diaphragm. I did on our 95 Caprice, TWICE. The car runs okay, except for the occasional stall and odd idle. When I pulled the vacuum hose to test the regulator, raw gas poured out, indicating the regulator was blown.

After that, it could be any number of things, as others have noted, including the EGR valve.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the tip. I will take it to my mechanic next spring and make sure he does that. I´m not allowed to drive it anymore since it didn´t pass inspection and soon it´s winter again.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Can you rent a fuel pressure gauge? In the USA, every auto parts shop has one to rent.

I am worried about letting a car that already has fuel problems sit for six months.
No we can´t. Not Tools like that. That is a really good idea.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
With a Little luck I might have found the problem. It´s a longshot but it make sense. The clamp that is connected under/front of the aircleaner? (on top of the Engine) was loose. I removed it and tried to start the car but it didn´t even start. Maybe it sucked up too much air with a loose clamp.

Talked to my mechanic today and he said if it would be bad fuel pressure it wouldn´t start right up after it stalled. it should take a few moments for the pressure to build up again, and Polly starts right up.

Like I said it´s a longshot but we will see...Hope for the best:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts