Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know what happened but I cam home from school around the end of May and parked the car cause I knew I was working all summer and didn't need my car. Now when I try to start the car it won't idle. Starts fine but I need to give it gas. Also as long as I have pressure on the gas pedal it's fine. But I don't want to have to do that and getting into gears on the brake and gas isn't fun either. Anyone have any idea what it could be? Already cleaned out MAF and throttle body and make sure all connections were tight and clean.

Any help is greatly appreciated seeing how I am leaving for school in a couple days.

Thanks alot,
Bad_94_ss

· Registered
2,856 Posts
We really are going to need more information. Is your check engine light on? Have you checked the condition of your spark plugs and plug wires? Have you checked your fuel pressure? Have you done any work on the car recently?

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry about that. Car has a 383 stroker that was done about 2 years ago. Spark is good even put a new coil on it. NGK plugs and Taylor wires are good. Good fuel pressure, can hear the pump turn on and during cranking it's right around 40-42psi. I haven't touched the car but maybe 3 times I started it to move it in my driveway. No check engine light or anything at all. Runs good when you are on the gas, just when you are not on the gas it want's to die out.

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
vacuum lines were all gone over. The cracked brittle ones were replaced. Going to do a TPS tomorrow, and if that doesn't help maybe a IAC valve

· Registered
574 Posts
1. Make sure the battery is fully charged. Low voltage can cause the engine to act oddly.
2. Check and reset your IAC. Pull it out and clean the socket it sits in in the TB. Then reassemble and reset.

Hopefully, that will do it. If not, I'd check to see if you have any codes set. Some codes can be set without a Check Engine Light being lit.

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
New TPS didn't change anything. Seems like when the car is in Neutral it idle's fine, but as soon as I put it in drive is when it want's to die out.

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
EGR has been blocked off for a while now. For some reason the shop that did the motor didn't put the PCV tube in and just capped it off. So I put the tube back in but shouldn't cause a problem I'd imagine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.