Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my DD has over 300K on tranny, so i know i am wasting time asking but here goes....

went to work yesterday and all good, on drive home it would not shift at normal times, it held each gear a lot longer before shifting. 1-2, 2-3. From 3-4 i really had to wind it out to like 60mph and had to let off the pedal to make it happen.

TC would not lock up at all, not even once on way home.

I got home and checked fluid with it running and seemed full, so let it sit.
This morning i checked fluid with car off and dipstick said low, not even to the "cool" section on the dipstick.

I drove to work with a quart in the front seat just in case, but car ran fine like a champ.

I will see if acts up again on the way home.

I think the fluid has been changed twice early on, so likely 100-200k on the current fluid, and i know at 300k the tranny should have given up the Ghost a long time ago.

Just curious if symptoms point to something specific or not in anyone else's experience.

Also i know the PCM has the lockup set to like 50-55 and not the stock 40ish mph.

Thanks.
-ALF out....

·
Premium Member
2,538 Posts
This sounds like a message where (if you could) you need to ping sherlock9c1.

He's our resident 4l60E expert. Try sending him a PM with this post's link.

·
Super Moderator
8,233 Posts
First, to get 300k on the stock transmission in these cars is very, very rare so consider yourself fortunate. Do you do all highway driving? 4th gear in lockup doesn't wear the trans at all.

A lot of factors drive shift points and TC lockup. Do you have one of those OBD2 engine monitors? Watch the throttle position and engine coolant temp first. If your data logger shows which gear is commanded, I'd want to see WHEN exactly the PCM is commanding shifts and lockup. If the commands are coming late, you've got a PCM or sensor issue. If the commands are on time but the SHIFTS are late, you've got a transmission issue.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, it has not happened again, but i take it as a warning the tranny is giving me to "Save up" !

On my commute 30 miles each way M-F i have 2 sections of 2-3 miles i am fast enough to lock up converter. The rest is town and country speed limits.

The guy at lt1swap.com programmed the PCM, i asked to delete AIR pump and he likely tried to "tune it" a little as i noticed lockup happens at higher speed than stock tune.

I only have Torque and other apps from Play Store on my phone, but i do watch TPS and WP sensors.
Thank you for the hints though if i do decide to pay me mech to live data log for me.

Also Saturday drove to LVD in NY for CT-Tri9 club Drag Day and did highway cruzing and no issues.

Thanks again.
-ALF out...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts