Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this saga started a couple of weeks ago. I got in my car and when I engaged the starter it went tick tick tick and then dead. Like either a bad battery or bad starter. A few hours later I tried again and it started right up. Battery was fully charged. A week later I was out running errands and it happened again. At O'Reilly Auto... I suspected a bad battery, like a short or something. Got a replacement battery and nada. Nothing. I turn the key I get a click and then all power is lost. Like I've blown a fuse. Totally dark, no dash, no interior lights.

I read that the ignition switch could cause something like this. I just spent 4 hours replacing the ignition switch, turned the key to 'start', heard ONE 'click', and all went dark. I even disconnected the battery and reconnected it and still nothing. I've checked all the fuses.

Can a bad starter do this? Is there a hidden circuit breaker I don't know about?

I'm totally stumped and very frustrated..

·
Premium Member
673 Posts
So this saga started a couple of weeks ago. I got in my car and when I engaged the starter it went tick tick tick and then dead. Like either a bad battery or bad starter. A few hours later I tried again and it started right up. Battery was fully charged. A week later I was out running errands and it happened again. At O'Reilly Auto... I suspected a bad battery, like a short or something. Got a replacement battery and nada. Nothing. I turn the key I get a click and then all power is lost. Like I've blown a fuse. Totally dark, no dash, no interior lights.

I read that the ignition switch could cause something like this. I just spent 4 hours replacing the ignition switch, turned the key to 'start', heard ONE 'click', and all went dark. I even disconnected the battery and reconnected it and still nothing. I've checked all the fuses.

Can a bad starter do this? Is there a hidden circuit breaker I don't know about?

I'm totally stumped and very frustrated..
A bad positive battery cable will do this as well.Local B Body guy went through similar issues,his original pos battery cable was shorting to frame above starter where it is clamped down on top of frame rail.

·
Premium Member
5,769 Posts
If you have a voltmeter, we can talk you through this .
If everything goes completely dead when you turn to start and you have a new battery,
Ground wire to block , often the secondary grounds will get fried
Cables rotted inside connection to battery terminals
are good starts .
I have seen corroded side terminal battery ends that people have missed while changing a battery.

The search will involve looking for voltage drops along the paths.
As in volt meter from battery neg to block, turn key.
In a magic world it should read 0, in our world it should read less than a volt.
Same with positive terminal to aux post and ,positive to starter positive terminal.
If you see significant voltage, the connections beween have an issue.
Someone will flesh this out more for you.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
LT1 Batt Cables.JPG

When everything goes dead when you turn the key to start it is usually a problem with the battery connector or cable at the battery end. On these cars the under hood fuse box end can also cause the issue due to a loose nut or bad cable.(12)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you have a voltmeter, we can talk you through this .
If everything goes completely dead when you turn to start and you have a new battery,
Ground wire to block , often the secondary grounds will get fried
Cables rotted inside connection to battery terminals
are good starts .
I have seen corroded side terminal battery ends that people have missed while changing a battery.

The search will involve looking for voltage drops along the paths.
As in volt meter from battery neg to block, turn key.
In a magic world it should read 0, in our world it should read less than a volt.
Same with positive terminal to aux post and ,positive to starter positive terminal.
If you see significant voltage, the connections beween have an issue.
Someone will flesh this out more for you.
All of the connections are clean and new and I had checked the battery terminals. Had a buddy look at the battery when I turned the key and discovered that one of the terminals (+) despite appearing tight, was not making good connection. I bought a new longer terminal bolt and all is good now. Seems the stud was just too short to get enough 'bite' on the battery to keep a clean connection. I was totally freaking out, but it turned out to be something simple! DOH!

Reactions: Jimpala95

·
Registered
8,572 Posts
Thanks for looping back around with outcome. It'll help another 25 year's worth of searchers. And I'll bet you're feeling so good you completely forgot the part about replacing what were likely a perfectly decent battery and ign. sw.

Oops, sorry. ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts