Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 96 fleetwood died in the driveway today. Wont start. Fuel pump Relay works. There is 12v at the harness behind the tank for a couple seconds when you turn the key. I cannot hear the pump turn on though. So Im guessing a new pump and harness is in order??

No codes no fuses bad.

The car fax said it was changed at the dealer at 60k miles and the car has 120k now. So its probably due. Im just making sure Ive covered all my bases before i go buy a pump tomorrow and change it.

Ive changed the one in my 83 coupe deville before so this should be about the same im sure.

My one question is I read something about the pump being grounded through the PCM. So even if 12v is getting back there then maybe the ground isnt working or a oil pressure sensor could be bad? Or is 9 times out of 10 its the fuel pump?

My one big reason I think its the fuel pump is I read they are cooled by gas and sensitive to heat. Well my car is black, it sits in the sun all day and it was 95 today. I had barely a tick of gas on the level so that gas mightve been hot when i ran it in the driveway. Yes it has a lil gas now so its not out of gas.

So new fuel pump and harness???

Thanks

·
Registered
576 Posts
Running kow on fuel all the time is the #1 FP killer as they are cooled by the fuel.

Likely a FP and/or harness problem. Check your harness and connections. You can also try bumping the bottom of the tank to see it it will run.

·
Registered
540 Posts
You can test the pump by connecting the fuel pump test connector (on the passenger side fender, red wire with a loose plug) to the + on the battery. Should be able to hear it running then if it works.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok got the new pump in. This one i can hear turning on. But im not getting any pressure up on the schrader valve up front. The car has 2 ticks of gas in it. Im running the primer wire for 30 seconds at a time and not getting any pressure. Im real sure i put it all together right and I can hear the pump running. How long do you need to prime it?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I took it apart, double checked the wiring. The plug that went up to the top of the whole sending unit had all the wiring backwards. So it was pumping backwards. I switched it and everything works great.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.