Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 96 impala has been in the shop for two months due to a problem somewhere. The car will only start and run if the a.c. is turned on at the same time as the ignition is engaged. A new ignition switch has been put in and all fuses have been checked. Before this started happening I had a new a.c. compressor put in. Could this have caused a problem?? Any information is appreciated. Thank you

·
Premium Member
9,190 Posts
thats new...

so you have to crank the key @ the same time as you switch the ac on like another key?

do you have a alarm? i seen people add a killswitch so you ahve to do steps like that above to start the car

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
thats new...
do you have a alarm? i seen people add a killswitch so you ahve to do steps like that above to start the car
bingo.
i did this before.
to do it right pull the lower dash off and pull the upper dash out. find a wire that doesnt belong or that is run by itself toward a relay from the a.c switch. there are very thick wire that runs from the driver side to the passenger side against the firewall. the relay would open and close the starter wire that is run against the firewall. this is a very cool trick but thief that are more experience tend to hot wire the car ready and quickly get under the car to hotwire the starter making the switch useless. if i were you i would leave it. it's a really great trick in case someone got to ur key and to prevent the wife/girlfriend/family from driving off with it without permission.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The car is basically stock except speakers, and cold air intake. I haven't gotten an alarm for it. It is almost like a second key. The car will turn over just won't run, unless the ac switch is turned at the same time. Only problem is, it may run for 20 seconds it may run for an hour.

·
Premium Member
9,190 Posts
The car is basically stock except speakers, and cold air intake. I haven't gotten an alarm for it. It is almost like a second key. The car will turn over just won't run, unless the ac switch is turned at the same time. Only problem is, it may run for 20 seconds it may run for an hour.
take the ac unit out and check it, their may be a hidden kill switch, you dont need a alarm for a KS.

because there is no link between the ac unit and the ignition unless some one has been chopping up wires

1 - 5 of 5 Posts