Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I spoke to a good friend who runs a composite shop, and would be willing to make carbon fiber RAISS from dry carbon (if there's enough interest).

The topic came up because I was asking him about different CAI systems, and linked him to the RAISS site (he was kind of shocked at the price).

If there's any interest, let me know and I can either forward it to him, or have him come on here.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Lemme see.

A noob on this site wants to bring in a new company
to COPY someone else's product design for PERSONAL GAIN,
and you want us to help you with that?

Andy aka Impalaperformance.com has been a big supporter of the Impala / B-Body community for YEARS, and you want to steal from him?

AND you want our help????

Hmmmmmm.....

Really?

·
Registered
592 Posts
p.s. This isn't the same as someone trying to fab up an intake in their own garage for their own personal use.

I'm pretty sure what you propose is not legal.

IMHO it's at least immoral. ;)

·
Registered
155 Posts
It's not illegal. Unless the product is trademarked it's fair game. Basically it all comes down to supply and demand. If enough people want something in different versions or from different materials then someone will supply it.

I'd say make up a couple prototypes and test fit them on cars to see if they fit right and if they hold up to the temp changes and vibrations of an engine. Once you know the product fits and is reliable then come up with a price and see if anyone is interested in it. You'd be suprised how quickly prices skyrocket once you need to start running off a bunch of prototypes to get all the bugs worked out of a design. No design is perfect, just ask some of those running the current system who manage to rip open a silicone coupler in a matter of months.

·
Registered
592 Posts
It's not illegal. Unless the product is trademarked it's fair game.

My point exactly.

Didn't really need your "supply and demand" lecture.

Thanks though.

However, I think you missed the MOST important point:

We have VERY few companies who support the B-Body community.

So...

WHY would we want to support someone we DON'T know, who HAS NOT been here supporting us?

Are you aware just how many RAISS systems Andy has given away, for free, to support the community?

I bet you don't have any idea.

Just because you CAN do a thing does not mean you SHOULD.

Get it? ;)

p.s. I have ZERO problem with someone making something in their garage, for their own use, and not for monitory gain. I say "go for it!"

I do have a problem with a noob coming on here, complaining about pricing, and trying to take away business from someone like Andy.

Hopefully the product is covered by trademark protection, and this is a moot point.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
If the one and only place that manufactures the raiss has a patent, then its understandable that it would be a load of bs to have someone on here regardless of there time as a member try to cut the og maker short and mas produce theres for monitary gain. however if he has no patent and some one else can provide me the same product cheaper im all for it. for one person to be a sole provider of any product is called a monapoly and isnt very fair to some of us who dont have the funds to purchase whats on the market now. competition is healthy its the american way of doing business as long as its legal of course.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Carbon Fiber Raiss

i'm interested, I have a Raiss and i wanted to get a carbon fiber version of it. The price of the raiss is very high $365 for the amount of materials it takes to make one. if

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think I'm being a little misunderstood, and understandably so. I in no way meant that this was going to be something mass produced and sold for huge profit. He is a good friend of mine, who is extremely busy and does custom carbon fiber molds as a hobby and only for friends. I asked him about it because after reading through the do it yourself RAISS thread, people expressed interest in making a carbon fiber version. I didn't think RAISS offered a carbon fiber option, so I thought maybe the people who wanted one and didn't have the time to do it themselves would want one made for them. My friend already said that he wouldn't make any more than 15 because he didn't have the time.

I'm sorry to the company who makes RAISS, or to anyone I offended. It wasn't my intention to take business away from them. I was originally just going to have him make it for me, but then saw the interest people had and thought maybe a few would want one too.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Wasn't the SSRI around before the RAISS?

Yes they are a little different but VERY much the same idea.

I know one company makes a fiberglass RAISS like scoop I have looked at because right now the RAISS is not sealing to my hood.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Wow. Seemed like an innocent request/comment to me. I didn't take it that he was trying to take down the entire RAISS nation.

I guess if someone does do not have a few extra digits behind their number of posts then it is fine to thrash them.

I'd say make up one for yourself, post pictures of the install and some tunes may change.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I'd be interested. These cai's are soo spendy. I'm still rolling around with a broken rammit lol.cwm3 just cant bite the bullet on any of the cai's available.

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
I have a RAISS, looks good but cost way too much. Your carbon fiber design is not illegal because the slightest design change (even color) voids any patents let alone a whole new material. Trust me been down that road on my dads motor mount business.

On the other hand i dont think you will have much luck because the weight savings (assuming that is what you are going for) is probably 3 pounds at most.

Good luck-Josh

·
Registered
212 Posts
Why do you have to call it an RAISS and get everybody's hair on end? Why not just ask if anyone is interested in a carbon fiber heatshield LIKE the RAISS or SSRI. Assuming its not the same dimensions and blatently molded from an RAISS, I don't see how offering a third competing version of the big front heatshield style of CAI is really a bad thing.

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
While the weight savings would certainly be negligable, I think heat soak(and transfer to stagnant inlet air) might be improved. I'm making one right now out of fiberglass with a reflective shield on the bottom, but carbon fiber would be even nicer.

A better method of ducting the grille air into the box needs to be devised though...idling at a stoplight causes iat to increase substantially, at a time when low-end torque loss is least welcome...from a standstill!

·
Premium Member
5,440 Posts
While the weight savings would certainly be negligable, I think heat soak(and transfer to stagnant inlet air) might be improved. I'm making one right now out of fiberglass with a reflective shield on the bottom, but carbon fiber would be even nicer.

A better method of ducting the grille air into the box needs to be devised though...idling at a stoplight causes iat to increase substantially, at a time when low-end torque loss is least welcome...from a standstill!

carbon fiber transfers heat very well, notsogood for cold air.

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
Ill take one if the price is right...

·
Registered
746 Posts
If the one and only place that manufactures the raiss has a patent, then its understandable that it would be a load of bs to have someone on here regardless of there time as a member try to cut the og maker short and mas produce theres for monitary gain. however if he has no patent and some one else can provide me the same product cheaper im all for it. for one person to be a sole provider of any product is called a monapoly and isnt very fair to some of us who dont have the funds to purchase whats on the market now. competition is healthy its the american way of doing business as long as its legal of course.
So from this statement I am able to pick out this, If someone is able to copy Microsoft Windows, and call it something else, and change a few images that is cool?

For a company to be considered a Monopoly it is a company that is providing something you require, such as a power company, it is a monopoly if you have no other choice for power.

This to the original poster:
First off The B Body Intake market is not a monopoly, You have K&N, RAISS, SSRI, Rammit, muiltiple options but to copy the RAISS and make it in Carbon Fiber would not be the correct thing to do. Atleast not if your selling it. If your buddy would like to make one for you this would be fine, not sell them to others. Though I do kinda understand your statement about price, I want a RAISS so I will wait until I can afford or the price comes down, maybe a sale. Just stick with 1 or 2 being made, and be cool with it, unless you change the product significantly.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So from this statement I am able to pick out this, If someone is able to copy Microsoft Windows, and call it something else, and change a few images that is cool?

For a company to be considered a Monopoly it is a company that is providing something you require, such as a power company, it is a monopoly if you have no other choice for power.

This to the original poster:
First off The B Body Intake market is not a monopoly, You have K&N, RAISS, SSRI, Rammit, muiltiple options but to copy the RAISS and make it in Carbon Fiber would not be the correct thing to do. Atleast not if your selling it. If your buddy would like to make one for you this would be fine, not sell them to others. Though I do kinda understand your statement about price, I want a RAISS so I will wait until I can afford or the price comes down, maybe a sale. Just stick with 1 or 2 being made, and be cool with it, unless you change the product significantly.

Okay, I've had enough backlash and upset messages on the forum, so I'm just going to go ahead and have my friend make one for me.

Just to clarify once again, my friend saw the pictures of the RAISS, he does not have measurements/drawings/diagrams etc. He was/is planning on making one similar (serving the same function) except of his own design using carbon fiber. I simply used the term RAISS because I thought it would most easily describe the type of CAI that it was inspired by.

Everyone seems to think that I was trying to start my own business to make extra profit. I really did not expect this kind of reaction, as I felt I was doing this as more of a favor to people. My friend was only going to make 1 copy for me, but I asked if he could make more as a favor to me. This was not his idea, nor does he have the time to be starting a business of selling these. He has a very successful business on his own and makes plenty enough money. He said he only had time to make about 15 copies, and would sell them all at the cost of the material (roughly $115 I believe). This was going to be a one time thing, and neither him or I was going to be making any profit off of these. He was not even charging for labor, just the cost of material.

As I said earlier, he is a good friend of mine, and CF fabrications is a hobby of his. I read the DIY thread, and saw a lot of interest in a CF version, but nobody really pulled the trigger on it. I figured since my friend was already making me one, maybe other people would be interested in it also.

A few people have expressed interest in this thread and via PM, I'm sorry but I will not ask him to make any more than the 1 he is making for me because so many people are upset about it. Thank you all for your responses, and I apologize for offending anyone. This 'noob' will now go back to reading and not posting.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.