Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Impala SS
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know anything about these? Specifically, would it fit a 95 Impala?

I know the general consensus of the forum is "make sure you get a permanent mount Steadfast unit, stay away from the CarGard types with the Medeco lock." But unfortunately, Steadfast doesn't seem to exist anymore and any of its old stock isn't easy to find.

CarGard's youtube comments mention: "The Caprice and Impala 91-96 would be our CarGard CG1AC model, We have 2 versions the standard and the Gem Lock. Both have the same housing, however we upgraded the lock and cylinder on the Gem Lock. The CG1-AC should also fit the Buick as well.
For the "permanent" column lock the correct model is the Lok-Itt P300.
"

So it says the CG1AC fits Caprice and Impala 91-96. And P300 is a more permanent equivalent but the documentation says that it fits Caprice 1977-1996 and Impala 1978-1988.

I mean, is there any difference between Caprice and Impala column that it would not fit between the both of them?

I would very much prefer one that I can just leave on the car and my signals, ignition, etc all still function. Since I still have the Vats active on my car, I know that a steering column collar isn't "necessary" but I've read a lot of examples where people come out to their car with their steering column in shreds (but still there). So I would like to have a visual deterrent to at least have a chance at a rookie-thief thinking it wouldn't be worth it to try.

Kill switch will be put in as well. I'm kind of iffy about alarms, but maybe.

·
Registered
7,439 Posts
If they want it. They'll get it. Any older wrecker can snatch one up ,and be gone in 30-40 seconds.

·
Registered
161 Posts
If my car gets towed they can have it.

It's to prevent junkies from trying to joyride it and trash the car which is a majority of the time.

·
Registered
1995 Impala SS
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I understand that. But that doesn't mean I should just roll down the windows and leave the keys in the ignition.

Times have changed. These days, if you're not in a garage, your door handles are going to get checked each night in my city. Very likely bust out a window just to check the glove box. And it's mostly kids doing it.

So, there is always a possibility that Earl will drive by with a wrecker to scoop up my car. But there is a 100% chance that my car will be eyeballed, sized up, checked and possibly even gone through by some 14 year old that remembers, "Hey, old cars are easy to steal. I saw it in a movie. Let me rip out this column."

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Kill switch will be put in as well. I'm kind of iffy about alarms, but maybe.
Instead of just a kill switch a 5 minute countdown timer gives me time to get rolling before having to reach for the switch. It also means the car has to be dumped on the road where someone might see who left the car.

A fake alarm light and wheel lock (club) might say try the next car to some thieves. A sheet metal shroud over the column might work just as well as a real one.

Times have changed. These days, if you're not in a garage, your door handles are going to get checked each night in my city. Very likely bust out a window just to check the glove box. And it's mostly kids doing it.
I have been in the same area for over 20 years no problem. Now the cars in driveways are being checked out, and they break into garages to grab anything. Sunglasses, GPS, hands free, chargers or loose change.Twenty sunglasses $20 or twenty phone chargers $100. not bad for just walking around.

some 14 year old that remembers, "Hey, old cars are easy to steal. I saw it in a movie. Let me rip out this column."
They do not know about VATS just that the column looks like one from the 1970s.

·
Registered
1995 Impala SS
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Instead of just a kill switch a 5 minute countdown timer gives me time to get rolling before having to reach for the switch. It also means the car has to be dumped on the road where someone might see who left the car.

A fake alarm light and wheel lock (club) might say try the next car to some thieves. A sheet metal shroud over the column might work just as well as a real one.
Very interesting ideas. I could probably get a buddy to help me build a sheet metal shroud, if need be. It'd probably look ugly as sin.

Steering column going to be staring back at them like:

Breastplate Toy Armour Helmet Sculpture

·
Registered
7,439 Posts
Fake alarm light ,and hidden switches will do the job. Most all vehicles from mid-90's on have some type of anti theft circuitry. Locking door cuts both ways as windows get busted out to grab change out of the ashtray. Best anti theft strategies include not having $3-5k worth of tires/wheels ,and not having "music" thumping as your looking for a parking place.

·
Registered
1995 Impala SS
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So wait... he is wearing only one glove... and he checks the door with his other bare hand?

I guess why should he care? Nobody is going to dust your car for prints even if he did get in.

·
Premium Member
6,175 Posts
They know who he is, We stopped sending video to the cops as they say there is little they can do unless we have video of him stealing or damaging.
We just phone the report and share with the neighborhood
" OK I'll leave valuables in the car to help you " :rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Registered
445 Posts
Reminds me of the old days, seeing cardboard in the window "no change, no radio"

1 - 11 of 11 Posts