Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just noticed that the shift indicator letters (P,N,R,D,L) are dark at night - meaning the bulb is burned out(?). This is on a stock 96 SS. How do I replace the bulb? Remove the entire console or....?

·
Premium Member
20,297 Posts
Good question......I got the same issue.

KW

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Just noticed that the shift indicator letters (P,N,R,D,L) are dark at night - meaning the bulb is burned out(?). This is on a stock 96 SS. How do I replace the bulb? Remove the entire console or....?
Pretty easy really, recently replaced the bulb with an LED bulb which brightens up the indicator quite a bit.

Use your parking brake and then throw the shifter in low so you can get access to the shift knob staple on the front of the knob aand remove it. Now the shift knob should pull right off so you can remove the shift plate.

Carefully using a plastic pry tool at the edge closest to the dash to lift up the front of the shift plate in the middle. There are just 2 push pins that lock it into the console. Edit - forgot to mention, open the console lid as the back of the shift plate just kind of slides in there.

On the underside of the shift you should see the bulb socket housing which just twists out to remove and the bulb just pulls out of the socket.

This thread has a pic that shows the 2 push clips....

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=1251434

1 - 5 of 5 Posts