Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished the front end rebuild so I went to the dealer today to get my car aligned. He said they can't do it because the center link is too short and he doesn't want to touch it because of liability issues. Supposedly the correct alignment would mean that it would be on the last thread. The center link is a moog replacement. I dont get it, whats the deal!? :confused:

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
May be dumb question time, but....

is your new centerlink the same length as the one you removed?

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To be completly honest I dont know. It didn't even occur to me to check because I got the impala one thinking it would be the exact same one. Now its too late since the old one is gone. But how can the original center link be a different size than the moog one?

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Find another center link and compare with what is on your car now.

Something smells strange here....

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Centerlink has no threads or is it adjustable.
Toe In/Out is adjusted by turning Sleeve between each Tie Rod.
Sounds like you may have installed wrong PN Tie Rod/s, ...OR Dealership is afraid of litigation from part failure[you installed parts].
Take car to an established indepentent, competent/honest Alignment Shop[stay away from Dealership or chain Tire/Alignment Shops.

:eek: Ask 'Old School Gearheads' in your area, where they take their cars for Alignment! :eek:

EDIT ADD: Correct Moog Centerlink PN DS899.
Is that the Centerlink PN on your receipt?

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
is your pitman arm and idler arm both straight forward at the same time? That would tell if it's way off. If those are roughly centered at the same time I would then look at the tie rods, as mentioned above.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by LarryCigar:
Centerlink has no threads or is it adjustable.
Toe In/Out is adjusted by turning Sleeve between each Tie Rod.
Sounds like you may have installed wrong PN Tie Rod/s, ...OR Dealership is afraid of litigation from part failure[you installed parts].
Take car to an established indepentent, competent/honest Alignment Shop[stay away from Dealership or chain Tire/Alignment Shops.

:eek: Ask 'Old School Gearheads' in your area, where they take their cars for Alignment! :eek:

EDIT ADD: Correct Moog Centerlink PN DS899.
Is that the Centerlink PN on your receipt?
The tie rod I got them from the PST suspension rebuild kit, and I didn't do the pitman arm. I checked the receipt and it does say DS899. I also checked the threads on the tie rod and there seems to be enough on both ends to bring the tire in and out a good amount. I do have to admit on the passenger side the gap between the outer and inner tie rod is smaller than the drivers side.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My guess is Dealer had liability issues, or wanted to at least change[$$$] the Centerlink.
Fukk them, find a competent AS!

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK took it to a reputable independent tire place, and they fixed it. WOW, with everything in and new what a difference, JUST like a new car maybe even better. I just can't believe the dealer lied to me making me believe it was the wrong part. The only thing I haven't changed it the spring, and I think I'll wait on that.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

So, tell us, what needed to be "fixed"--was there something about your installation of the parts that actually needed correcting?

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by Navy Lifer:

So, tell us, what needed to be "fixed"--was there something about your installation of the parts that actually needed correcting?
Well according to them the "drag link" was the incorrect size. I looked under the car, and it seemed fine. The other alignment place had no problems whats so ever.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts