Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm currently running acdelco ceramic pads on the front brakes, along with powerslot rotors, and pf pads and powerslot rotors on the rear, i have approx 4000 miles on the pads, and recently noticed a strong shuddering coming from the front as i brake on a down hill decline.. this happens at partial pressure on the pedal & also full pressure on the pedal, also installed a stealth bolt..i did not replace the seals when the new pads went on...is this common with ceramic pads or is the problem somewhere else..already wrecked one beast, and can't afford to wreck another :confused:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Take a look at the post"new pads for GM durastop....." and look at Impalaman's response. It appears that this is "normal" for these ceramic pads. My 92' caprice does the same thing- Scott

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is NOT normal.. It is due to improperly mounted pads. If you do not mount the outside pads correctly you will get this shudder and reduced braking. I noticed this at dreamapalooza with my car. A mechanic at the show explained to me you need to bend over the small ears on the pads to get them to bind onto the caliper better. You can NOT do this with the pads on the car, you MUST remove the pads and it is easiest to use a hammer and lightly tap on them to bend them over and then test fit them. The best fit seems to be where they need a little force to push on. This will prevent them from moving around causing the "shuddering". This can also happen if you do not mount the clips on the pads on the interior as well.

It is not normal and should be dealt with properly.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i justed completed the front brake pads replacement, replaced them with PF pads, they work great! upon removing my old pads i discovered the pads had cracks on the outer pads ( probably from the chattering ), also had burn marks on the rotors, along with rust marks, will try the ear bend on the new pads to have them seat properly, and also the break in process to seat the pads properly, thanx for all your replys in helping this rookie wrencher through my repairs...

aloha
:D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I am aware that the pad tabs need to be bent and they are well bent on the vehicle that has the ceramic pads(though I will check ..again). The problem only occurs when the pads are hot and not at all when cool. If it was the tabs then it should happen cold and hot, I would think.
- Scott

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MaSSiv:
recently noticed a strong shuddering coming from the front as i brake on a down hill decline.. this happens at partial pressure on the pedal & also full pressure on the pedal, <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK, maybe I'm being a simpleton, but it sounds like the ABS is engaging when you're braking downhill.... :confused: .

KW

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Scott,

Is the shudder coming throught the steering on through the brake pedal?

Just wonderin'.

KW

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Kw-
It isn't the ABS. It is a noise more than a vibration. The sound starts out as a very low growl that becomes louder as the front pads heat up. The sound stops as soon as you let off the pedal. It returns as you re-apply the hot pads. I will check the pad mounting but I suspect it is the ceramic compound being too hard or not rejecting or transmitting heat into the compound.- Scott

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KWBaraka:
Scott,

Is the shudder coming throught the steering on through the brake pedal?

Just wonderin'.

KW
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
i noticed the shuddering after i had the beast sit idle for about two weeks, first it was moderate and only felt in the brake pedal, as time past it became very noticable (strong shuddering ) felt in the steering wheel...
aloha

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.