Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

That is the unvented opti that caused so many problems when they first came out so they are right AC Delco is no longer maling that one.. But they are still making the type that use the vent harness that will actually work past the first splash to the front of the motor.
Many thanks to you for clarifying.

They are not telling the complete story on their ebay ad.

·
Registered
1995 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
3,005 Posts
That is the unvented opti that caused so many problems when they first came out so they are right AC Delco is no longer maling that one.. But they are still making the type that use the vent harness that will actually work past the first splash to the front of the motor.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but...

The way I understood it was that AC Delco stopped making opti's... but they sold the design or something to another company so OEM opti's are still produced under a different name. "Delphi" I believe, right?

·
Registered
731 Posts
Its true that delphi is the same as ac delco, but i remember that even gm reccomended the vented "opti II" upgrade over the non vented style for those having repeat opti failure, and thus ac delco/delphi discontinued the defunct opti 1. Unless you added the vent harness to those, as stated, a simple puddle would kill em, as they had open holes in the bottom to "drain" the moisture from itcwm3. Anyways, unless you swap/downgrade the front cover to the "opti I" design, change the timing gear and drive the dowel pin in, no b body lt1 will run these anyways. Opti I = junk, Ask the early lt1 f-body guys.

·
Registered
144 Posts
they also have the vented ones, I bought one for my 94 wagon and it looks as weel built if not better than the factory ones! FWIW I've seen factory ones be bad out of the box so I would rather pay $80 for one and it go bad than $400! Mine has been ion for about 3 months and I drive the car everyday with absolutely no problems! I've got 4 cars with Opti's and I wouldn't hessitate to buy another one!

·
Registered
377 Posts
they also have the vented ones, I bought one for my 94 wagon and it looks as weel built if not better than the factory ones! FWIW I've seen factory ones be bad out of the box so I would rather pay $80 for one and it go bad than $400! Mine has been ion for about 3 months and I drive the car everyday with absolutely no problems! I've got 4 cars with Opti's and I wouldn't hessitate to buy another one!
The quality of an optispark is not in the way it is built, but in the quality of the optical pickup sensor. Historically, most of the cheaper units have been known to have sensors that do not last as long as OEM.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I've had OEM ones not last a year! Of course it was the non vented on my 94 F-body, but I have seen the bearings go out in a brand new unit less than a month after install as well. I understand what you are saying about the optics though!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Stay away!!

I got one of Chandler Motor Sport Opti's Vented ones, and its crapping out right now!!! Car will run for 10 miles and dies, won't restart.

Warranty or not, everybody know how much pain to replace them damn things.

Stay away!!

I had a used GM one from ebay and worked for 2 years until leaky wp kill it.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got one of Chandler Motor Sport Opti's Vented ones, and its crapping out right now!!! Car will run for 10 miles and dies, won't restart.

Warranty or not, everybody know how much pain to replace them damn things.

Stay away!!

I had a used GM one from ebay and worked for 2 years until leaky wp kill it.

Sorry to hear that. I feel your pain. Thanks for posting and helping your ImpalaSS brothers avoid the same.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
"zaw9c1 How long did you have yours on the car? As far as I can tell it's pretty much hit or miss with the GM ones and the aftermarket ones!"

Why do you keep making that statement? Many here have told you that the GM/Delphi ones are the way to go(not the E-bay ones that claim to be OEM). It's going to cost you $250+, not the $400 you stated and is not "hit or miss" if installed properly. We have also established that the Chandler ones are crap and should be avoided. The original opti's are not garbage either as you and the Chandler ads have inferred. There are many of us with 200,000+ on original opti's with just cap & rotor and vent harness replacement.

·
Premium Member
1996 Caprice 9c1, 2018 Ram Laramie CC 4x4 EcoDiesel , '03 Ram 3500 Laramie Sport QC 4x4 Cummins
635 Posts
Some guys just don't listen to reason because.......

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.