Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! How do I go about changing the passenger side spark plug wires? Is there a better way of going about it than removing a bunch of stuff on the front of the engine?

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
170 hits in just the Engine Problems/Maint. section using the title of your thread. Start here and check another couple promising titles and get back with any remaining questions:
https://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/34-engine-problems-maintenance/1307434-thread-spark-plug-replacement.html

Free Hint: Most guys replace plugs/wires when doing a regular opti tune-up when it's out and more room to fish the wires through the hole in the access. bracket. At 263k when's the last time you pulled maint. on the opti?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks! I bought the car somewhat recently, so I have no idea when the opti was serviced last.
I'm thinking it might be a good idea to take the Opti off anyways and inspect it.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Dumping the smog pump and all the stuff like the cross over (cross under!) pipe will help.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I deleted the smog pump not to long ago, but I haven't removed the pipe yet.
It's been a long time since I did mine but IRRC the pipe is a severe impediment on the pass side especially.

There is a bolt by or under the alternator or PS pump that must be removed - a PITA to reach.

Cut the pipe first.

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
If your pump/tube is removed and using stock length wires, you should do something to secure the driver side wires so they don't flop around. Believe the pump tube has a bracket on it that supports the wires on that side.

This may help and give you some ideas and things to consider. I just made up a little bracket and mounted it to the Block to secure the driver side wires. Everything else is pretty much routed stock.

https://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/34-engine-problems-maintenance/271808-msd-wire-install-custom-parts-gm.html

·
Registered
8,456 Posts
OP

while these cars are not the most convenient cars to swap plug wires on, IMHO there is really no big deal

I encourage you to use all the stock clips & brackets to secure them

I do both sides from under the car. The PS I find it easier to remove the starter and PS tire. Use a screw driver through wheel well to unclip the wire hold downs. Fish the new wire from the front of the car/motor around block. There is a small bolt holding on the metal bracket for #6&8 if you want to remove it to install but I just pop the clip lose and run the new wires in the wire clip

The DS I just remove the bracket holding all 4 wires and re-assemble on bench and feed wires around front of block using the stock 4 wire clip to hold them

If putting on new split loom, use grey stripe. You can order it online for around $15 for 100'. The plastic crap sold at auto part stores will instantly melt. Grey stripe is heat resistant

Attachments

·
Registered
8,456 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts