Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only advice I can give is be prepared for a mess. Other than that it's a pretty straight forward job, just make sure you have the correct wrenches for the fittings.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The return line (smaller one) is not too bad. Haven't changed the high pressure side. If you still have the air pump it will be a lot easier if you remove it. I did mine on a lift and removed the Drivers side wheel. Its easiest to get to the lines from underneath if you have alift, if not access through the wheel helps and four hands are much better than two as lots of other stuff just seems to be in the way.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not much to add. I usually just put my oil drain pan underneath before getting started to catch the mess. Just don't do what I did last week when I changed out my steering box and leave said pan in the garage with fluid in it and then trip over it and spill all of the fluid on the ground :( As stated above, make sure you have the correct size wrenches. I have done it with regular open end wrenches, but a flare wrench sure is a nice thing to have.

Oh yeah, and when I fill it back up I usually put some fluid in the reservoir and turn the pump by hand to get fluid going through the system again. Jack the front end up and put it securely on stands. With the engine running turn the wheel from side to side to get the air out of the lines (stay off of the stops). Check and add fluid as necessary.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Call Dal and he can get you the 9C1 version of the return cooler pipe/hose. He stated that this is a better option than just the standard return hose as it helps to cool the PS fluid better. FWIW.

Dave ;)

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just found out my high pressure hose has a bad leak. Just ordered both power steering hoses from RockAuto. Hope they are not too hard to change. :(

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not much of a problem at all. I've had quite a bit of feedback from the kit I sell and the biggest problem people seem to have is the pressure side fitting in the steering box. Don't be afraid to warm it up with a little torch to aid in removal if it gives you any problems.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It was a breeze.
I used Chris' high pressure hose.
The rest I changed when I put a cooler in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts