Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you have changed to the 4:10 in their car? Looking for opinions from people that are still running close to the factory diameter tire and may have some performance mods, but still running the 4L60e. Would you do it again or do you miss the factory gears. What are your opinions as to how it performs on the street and in traffic. Do you feel like you're running out of gear when you're playing with someone on the street?

I've typically been a big fan of 2.73's and 3.08's....but I've always had a much lighter car. With the Impala being so heavy I'm thinking the 4:10 may be necessary....but I'm worried that it won't work well or to my liking. We're only planning on making around 420-450 to the wheels using the 396. Please give your opinions on your experience with this gear....

Thanks....

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
when my stock posi blew up and took out the 3.73s, I switched to 4.10s with a new Eaton posi. With stockish tires and a loud exhaust, it can be a bit much on the highway, but it is livable. I used to go to school 200 miles from my family and girlfriend. I drove back and forth a bunch over those 2 years. At least once a month, but usually more than that. A few of those times I even did it with the cutouts open :D

·
Premium Member
20,305 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,774 Posts
For natural aspirated motors, IMHO,
3.73's = minimum gearing for these cars for performance street use.
4.10's = best gearing for these cars for performance street use. You'll never "feel like you're running out of gear when you're playing with someone on the street"

·
Premium Member
584 Posts
4.10's = best gearing for these cars for performance street use. You'll never "feel like you're running out of gear when you're playing with someone on the street"
Pat are you using 4.10's on your setup?

·
Premium Member
3,774 Posts
Pat are you using 4.10's on your setup?
Nope. But that's what I would have stayed with if the car still got a lot of highway use.
I now run 30" slicks instead of the previous 26", so it has 4.88's.

·
Premium Member
20,305 Posts
I share Pat's opinion!

I've stated it often that 3.73's are the gears that the Impala should've come with. At the very least......it should have been an option!

At some point, I will definately go back and put my Yank 3000 TC back in (I have a Yank 3600 in the car now) and I may even go back to 3.73 gears. But I have to say that the 4.10 gears do make these cars accelerate like a 3600 LB F-body ;) !

KW

·
Premium Member
4,050 Posts
+2

I ran 3.73's first and have been running 4.10's for almost 4 years. I'd never go back with an NA motor.

·
Registered
868 Posts
i put 3.73s in my 96 and kinda wish i went with 4.10's. Went 3.73 for daily driver/gas milage reasons but im gonna bet 4.10's wouldnt have hurt anymore. Had 4.10's in my 88 9C1 and they were great

·
Premium Member
4,050 Posts
Went 3.73 for daily driver/gas milage reasons but im gonna bet 4.10's wouldnt have hurt anymore. Had 4.10's in my 88 9C1 and they were great
When I was still running my stock/bolt-on motor and swapped from 3.73s to 4.10s, my highway mileage dropped from 21 mpg to 19 mpg but my "around town" mileage hardly changed at all -from 16.8 mpg to about 16.5 mpg.

·
Premium Member
20,305 Posts
When I was still running my stock/bolt-on motor and swapped from 3.73s to 4.10s, my highway mileage dropped from 21 mpg to 19 mpg but my "around town" mileage hardly changed at all -from 16.8 mpg to about 16.5 mpg.
That's my experience, too.

Around town, 3.73's can actually increase gas mileage over stock gears.

My city mileage hasn't drop much at all going from 3.73's to 4.10's......highway mileage is a different story, though.

KW

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
In real city driving (NYC for example) you would be lucky to get 10 mpg with any gears. Idling at numerous lights yields 0 mpg.

·
Registered
8,637 Posts
My Caprice has 4.10's, and a 28" tire out back.

My Roadmaster has 3.73's and a 26" tire out back. The overall RPM's at 70mph are nearly the same. I think it's a great setup for off the line, and still liveable on the highway.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Here's a set of tables and graph comparing 3.08, 3.73 and 4.10 gears running on stock size tires.

·
Registered
419 Posts
i say that graph ^^^ gets a sticky

·
Registered
743 Posts
Have had 4.10's for several years now and love them. Gas mileage is not quite as good as the 3.73's but don't street drive much any more and they do fine for my setup.

·
Registered
887 Posts
On my 04 Silverado SS with AWD it came stock with 4.10's. And it weights about 5200 lbs. It's my DD and I love the 4.10's.

I'm about to do the rear on my SS, and after ready this I am thinking towards 4.10s.
But my question is; Would 4.10's be OK with a stroker running boost. (Not a DD)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts