Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. I hate threads that get super long and off-topic. Well, not really, but thought I would start one that just catalogs my correction of oil leaks. Now that my valve covers are clean, I can see (and I already suspected this) that the O-ring on the oil filler tube needs replacing. I checked out the very interesting, if not amusing, threads on this, and I THINK I know what I am doing. Any after the fact thoughts/cautions? I still have homeplate (the mice need a place to camp under, don't you know?) and I like having the tube so I don't have to find my funnel to add oil. Not that I usually have to add any in between changes. But anyway. I don't mind it. Does it take much effort to unscrew?

V

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
I don't know if you can find the 0 ring for sale anywhere for the oil filler.
What that said, after removing tube clean it well with brake cleaner.
Smear silicone RTV black over the thread and screw it back in.

Nab

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've read in the old threads that some used the o-ring from a headlight. Also wondering if plumbing dept at Home Depot would have something suitable. I have some pretty large O rings around, but of course I won't know for certain sure until I unscrew the tube. Did y'all wrap it in a rag so youse could put channel locks on it or sumpin? Its raining like crazy all day every day right now so I'm not going to raise my hood and look at it right now. IF I find a suitable O ring from somewheres else I will post it. Otherwise, of course there is RTV.

The Vster

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It stopped raining long enough for me to raise the hood and realize that yeah, there's a place to grip the oil filler tube and unscrew it, duh, but I have to take some other things off as well to do the job properly. I did find an old halogen headlight with o-ring intact, and checked my o-ring stash from Harbor Freight and I see that i have plenty of larger sizes. The rest of the dry weather had to to be used mowing the lawn before it got knee-high. Rain has already started again, but at least now I know i have plenty of options for this. I'm hoping to have a dry day soon for oil change and oil filter adapter gasket R&R. I do have another rig to drive while the wagon is laid up, but I rely on the wagon for carting loads of crap between here and there...

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
It stopped raining long enough for me to raise the hood and realize that yeah, there's a place to grip the oil filler tube and unscrew it, duh, but I have to take some other things off as well to do the job properly. I did find an old halogen headlight with o-ring intact, and checked my o-ring stash from Harbor Freight and I see that i have plenty of larger sizes. The rest of the dry weather had to to be used mowing the lawn before it got knee-high. Rain has already started again, but at least now I know i have plenty of options for this. I'm hoping to have a dry day soon for oil change and oil filter adapter gasket R&R. I do have another rig to drive while the wagon is laid up, but I rely on the wagon for carting loads of crap between here and there...
2 things to consider....

1) Another option for the O-Ring if you can't match 1 up, just buy a new Cap and swipe the O-Ring off of that for your stock Cap or Filler tube. It's less than $10 so not too much of a waste and at least you have 1 for exactly this purpose.

https://www.ebay.com/p/Engine-Oil-Filler-Cap-ACDelco-GM-Original-Equipment-FC212/76759550?iid=291049808823&chn=ps

2) If you are going to remove the oil filter Adapter from the block, there is a Fel-Pro Gasket kit avail for this. there will be 2 O-rings, you want to use the round oring and toss the Square cut 1. Also, don't use the Paper Gasket that gets sandwiched between the Block and the Filter adapter. Instead, get this gasket from the dealer as it's a better option. There is a thread on all of this somewhere here that explains why....just don't have the time to dig that up for ya.

EDIT - Well damn....look what I just found for the filler cap/Tube. :>)

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/acdelco-gm-original-equipment-engine-oil-filler-cap-o-ring-a6150373859acd/11471557-p?c3ch=PLA&c3nid=11471557-P&adtype=pla&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrrm5hPbH4QIVraOzCh0QdwrYEAQYASABEgIVx_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Just googled "GM Oil Filler Cap Oring" and the Heaven's opened, light beams shot thru and "TADA"!! :>) Not 100% sure this is for our application but looks like it may work.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
4door - I heavily researched the oil filter adapter gasket change on the forum and printed out everything I found, including the pictures of the tools people used, how they got the adapter off (put the oil filter back on after the two allen head bolts are out so you can whack it gently, IIRC), and the entire discussion about which o ring to use. I think in one place someone says to use the square one, but the general consensus later was to use the round 1. I got the Felpro kit, but now will try to get the gasket from a dealer. I believe that was in the threads also. I always have to read about what I'm doing about 5 times before it sinks in.

As far as the filler cap O-ring, I will see what works once I get into it. Way too wet today. Thanks for the response. It's always great hearing from the Forum.

V

1 - 7 of 7 Posts