Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how big of a job would it be and is it possible to swop the chassis from my 92 with one from a 94-96. my chassis is bent from an accident and i think i would be better off just trying to swop the chassis with a differnt car than trying to get it straightnd.what do you guys think i realy want to keep my caprice i dont want to junk another one. :confused:

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I don't know how hard it is to do, but I do know that frame swaps are done every day at body shops. I had a bent frame in an accident and the insurance company paid for the shop to swap it with a salvage caprice frame.
Really, the body comes off, and then you start swappin stuff like motor-tranny-rear-A arms, etc.
Karl

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im talkin about taking the body off the chassis and putting the body on another chassis on with everything still bolted on engine trans EVERYTHING.it would be kinda like a body off frame resoration?any of you guys done or seen this done?

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you would need almost ALL of the wiring from the donor vehicle and the dashboard with the gauge cluster, controls, etc. Sounds like a huge job, but would be bad ass!

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dallas Frame told me $2500-$3000 for a wagon. This was with a new frame however.

Depending upon how bent, a quality frame shop can do wonders.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Changing a frame is not hard work, just lots of it. There are different tricks that can save time. If you are keeping the car and drive train and just changing the frame, you can get quite tricky. You can support the car a few feet in the air by its sills and rear wheel wells and hold the engine and trans up by either a hoist above or blocks below (the blocks are trickier cause you need to re block as you move the frame) This way you can lower the frame out the bottom and leave the engine with the car. I did a newer Chev truck at work this way in half the allotted time. Did not even drain the anti freeze! The trick is to lay under the car for a while and plan it out, like diff goes with frame, fuel tank stays with car, what do I need to undo? One thing to make sure is your body mounting areas on the actual body are not damaged from the collision. Finding this out at home with the car apart could be a drag. Any frame I have re and re'ed has either been a classic car resto or a new insurance job so either was worth the time and trouble. You should assess your job and make sure it will make economic sense. Not to throw stones but unless your car has some big mods, changing the frame on a 92 might not make economic sense. You might be able to buy another driver for cheaper.That being said, I was the guy that bought a new GM frame for my wagon just in case!! Regards, Gerry

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the front drivers side of the chassis is bent in almost touching the power stering pulley if that helps does anyone have an idea how much that kind of repair would cost

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Theres a guy on the 9c1 list that took a 91 body and put it on a 94 chassis with an LT1 and a T56. Here is his website, his name is Micheal, and his email address is on the site. I talk to him regularly about doing crazy stuff like what I have done and like what he is doing now.
http://www.geocities.com/abbynrml94/

Check that out, project Frankenstien.

Just in case, here is his email address:
[email protected]

Nice guy, will probably answer any questions.

Good luck. Someday when you get that car on the road again we'll have to run em! I am only about an hour away or so.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i think that im just going to take it to a body shop and have the frame pulled.if i knew how to post pics then i would show you guys how bad the damage is.
ssinisterss i would love to run em but i dont think its going to be any time soon

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Send me the pics and I will post them for you if you like. [email protected]

And about running them, my heap wont be rolling till She hits 80 degrees again here in central Il so that could be JULY! Actually hope to have it road ready middle of January, then I will be doing some comfort mods, like some new black carpet, SS seats, some other minor things, and a disco ball.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
it is not so much involved, I just have recently moved the body off the frame. Once the body is off, swapping motor and trans is very easy. The most time is spent on removing the front sheet metal. To take it off and place nearby in my garage I spent about a day.

things you have to do:
-remove fuel lines and tank
-take off front and rear bumper fascia
-unplug engine harness inside passenger side cabin
-unhook all connection between engine bay and fire wall like water hoses, wiring, A/C
-unhook steering shaft
-remove 12 body bolts
-disconnect emergency brake cable
-disconnect rear ABS sensor harness
-remove front sheet metal, fenders, hood, wheel well
-lift out radiator support as whole assembly

not necessarily in that order but that's about it. It helps if you have a lift, you can easily roll out the frame.

heinz

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll have to get them developed and i'll e-mail them to you. Can you host them so they can be in my signature too?
Well the pictures i have before the accident if you look at my homepage thats what my caprice looked like before it got the nose lift lol.Thanks

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah I can host sig pics for you, just like I host my sig pic. Send me them pics and I will send you the address to use for your sig.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts